Ring- Clutch Boss (retaining wire) - What is this?

bluexs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
While purchasing Mikes XS parts to upgrade my 73 TX650 to 6 drive plates/ 7 friction plates, I bought part #39-6578, Ring- Clutch Boss (retaining wire). See on this page: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-22.html#products

The description: "Spring Steel retaining wire for Inner Clutch Hub (Clutch Boss). This wire holds the first metal clutch plate (special type) in place on the inner clutch hub and is easily damaged if removed from its installed position."

I am puzzled as to what this is for. What is a "special type" first metal clutch plate? From what I can see, all the steel plates are the same. Is this part a tool that is to be removed before final assembly or is it a part that remains on the cycle? Thanks:banghead:

It's a part not used on your clutch. It's for the '80 and newer clutches. They have a special spring-loaded bottom steel plate to dampen the engagement and that wire is used to hold it down into the bottom of the hub under tension.

Later model clutches also have 6 friction plates. Also have an anti shock loading mechanism in the clutch boss that is held in place by this ring. The boss has a groove cut into it to accomodate this. You wont need it as you should be replacing the thicker early steel plates with thinner ones to make place for the extra friction plate.

Thanks for the knowledge! I was racking my brain trying to figure out where it belonged and probably tried a few things that would look quite humorous to someone with more advanced maintenance expertise. :eek: Maybe I will send a note along to Mikes XS to let them know a better description would benefit their customers.

On the site it says "Fits 80 to 84 XS650's" It says that now, I don't know about before.
Leo

It's a part not used on your clutch. It's for the '80 and newer clutches. They have a special spring-loaded bottom steel plate to dampen the engagement and that wire is used to hold it down into the bottom of the hub under tension.

I (stupidly) took off this wire to clean underneath the steel plate. Totally botched putting it back on... Is this wire essential or can I reinstall without it? I will figure it out if need be... but thought it might not be necessary as all the components are sandwiched together, anyways. Thoughts?

I think you need it. Personally, I wouldn't run without it.

I was afraid you would say that! Had to ask, was hoping for a "everyone cuts off this wire, don't worry about it!"

Back