Roadracer Build FINALLY finished

Made it thru my first trackday unscathed. I had some trouble with the bike dropping a cylinder after a couple of laps, but was OK when I started the next session, then same thing. This was the shake down run for both me and the bike, so some sort of teething problem was expected. After some thought, I'm guessing the black box is doing it's infamous thing and after it heats up, it starts dropping out. After some minor adjustments, the bike handled well and really romped until the ignition problem would surface.

Probably a good thing my day ended a little early, my butt is dragging and I hurt all over!

Attachments

• Ready To Go.jpg
    Ready To Go.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Padock.jpg
    Padock.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 280
  • Never Ending.jpg
    Never Ending.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Front Straight.jpg
    Front Straight.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 258
  • MSR 2010 3.jpg
    MSR 2010 3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 207
  • MSR 2010 2.jpg
    MSR 2010 2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 231
  • MSR 2010 1.jpg
    MSR 2010 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Awesome. What kind of bikes were you competing against/ How was the reactionof the competitors to such an unlikley racebike?

It was an interesting day! This was just a trackday, not a race, but I was on track with a number of Ducatis and the normal Japanese sport bikes. The bike got a lot of attention in the paddock to say the least, The old guys vaguely recognized it but the youngsters had no clue. The guy on the Suzuki pitted next to me was really impressed with the growl of the motor when I cranked it up, definately didn't sound like the inline 4's most were riding.

Last edited:
Very cool. Glad you enjoyed your self. It's very cool that the crotch rocket pilots where impressed. You show 'em better next time.

Great looking bike!! Couple of Q's. I see you are using A123 batteries, are you kick or electric start? Where did you get your thick seat foam? I can only find 1/2"

Thanks

Thanks, this is kick only now, I took all the electric start gear out. The foam pad came from eBay, just look for foam or neopreme sheeting, what ever thickness you want. BTW, it's still hard as a brick.

Last edited:
I used foam carpet padding to pad my seat. Two layers work well. Firm, but the vibes don't come through near as much as the stock foam.
I got it for free, my sister got a new mobile home. It came with a bunch of pieces of the padding covering the carpets, so tthe carpet would stay clean when the unstallers hooked up the water, gas and electric.
If you ask real nice at a place that installls carpet you might get some scrap pieces for free.
If one layer is to thin just glue more layers on top. Trim with an electric carving knife, works very well.

It was an interesting day! This was just a trackday, not a race, but I was on track with a number of Ducatis and the normal Japanese sport bikes. The bike got a lot of attention in the paddock to say the least, The old guys vaguely recognized it but the youngsters had no clue. The guy on the Suzuki pitted next to me was really impressed with the growl of the motor when I cranked it up, definately didn't sound like the inline 4's most were riding.

This was most cool to read. :) I love the look on the youngsters' faces when they get up close and personal with machines from a whole different era.

Great build, too. Bet you're proud of that, and justifiably so!

TC

Thanks! Yes, I'm very proud of the bike, it was a huge project that spanned nearly 4 years and $7k. Mostly, I'm shocked at how well it came together, actually much better than I expected.

Bike is back on the work bench for a while, just got transfered to China for my next assignment. Cool from the work standpoint, blows for my biking plans.

Dude, I would get out the drawing board!. If you can find a competant machinist over there, you can get some custom made parts for CHEAP! compared to the US. I spent some time in Thailand, they are very resourceful and can replicate just about anything. That's awesome that you get to travel, other than being away from family.

Been thinking about getting an alloy triple tree made, will see how it goes there.

I'm in the oil bidnez, been flying around the globe for the last 25 years. I was living in Saudi Arabia when I started this project, been commuting and living half-time in Angola for last 3 years, now moving to Chengdu, China for 3 - 4 years. I tell the boss it's tough duty, but really it's cool as hell and gives me cash to piss away on overblown toys like this one. After this assignment I think it's time to head home and ride out the last few years to retirement and play with my toys.

Off topic, but when you move to all those places do you try to pick up the local language? I always thought that would be neat because you're immersed in it, so it has to be easier to learn.

[QUOTEAfter this assignment I think it's time to head home and ride out the last few years to retirement and play with my toys. ][/:bike:

Amen & Amen.

I pick-up at least some basics of the local language like "more beer please", "bathrooms?", "thank you", etc - all the necessities. In Saudi and Angola, most spoke English, so I got off easy, but where we're going in China, it's Manderin all the way once I get out of the office. Language lessons already scheduled.

Funny, but I found the whole world speaks American Express and Visa fluently..........

Back