rocker arm wear

badboy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have some weird wear on the right side rocker arm pads. The left side is like perfect. The right side almost looks like there wasn't getting enough oil. I mean its not crazy bad just not as shiny and good looking as left side. If you look real close the center of the pads has the small wear indent barely noticeable. So what do I do? Replace rocker arms or leave as is. I'm not to sure what excessive wear really looks like for these.

Attachments

• 20150425_201412.jpg
    20150425_201412.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 357
  • 20150425_201328.jpg
    20150425_201328.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 20150425_201245.jpg
    20150425_201245.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 326
OK, my vote is:

By the book:

Both right rocker pads are damaged, replace (2) rockers
All (4) valve adjusters damaged. Regrind or replace.
Camshaft lobes right side look damaged. Must do cam lobe measurements per the manual.

The shadetree perspective:

Some of us here have the machinist skills/tools/abilities to resurface/polish those things enuff to get away with it. Driven by the undocumented penny-pincher gene.
But, in secret, on our own stuff.

Hi badboy,
the right side looks kinda scuffed (although I have stoned out worse on Britbikes) while the left side looks just fine.
Check out the oil feed passages on the bad side to see if they are partially blocked.

I guess I will have to do some measurements to be sure but I can't imagine shelling out the 355 bucks for a new camshaft for the little mark on the rocker arm pad. Plus the bike was fine idling. Isn't that a tell tale sign if the camshaft is fucked up? If the bike has a real ruff idle.

your valve adjuster tips look a little marred, too. toomany did a excellent write up on that.

These can always be grey-area judgement calls. Kinda like how some folks down here try to stretch their tire mileage by running them until the cords show-thru and they go flat.

You could view this from three angles:

Immediate functional impact - Putting it back together as-is may not adversely affect the idling and performance.

Irritation factor - Yep, it'll clatter, and valve adjustments will be inconsistent.

Long term reliability - It may limp along for a thousand, or couple hundred, or 1 mile. Continued operation will likely produce a lot of iron filings. Rough bearing surfaces that no longer provide the requirements for thin-film boundary layer lubrication usually chew themselves up.

Depends on your plans, tolerance levels, and risk management. The choice is always yours.

I'm reminded of interesting solutions that folks have come up with in the past to 'band-aid' mechanical problems. Like that old trick of putting sawdust in a differential to quiet the howling noise. It actually works! Just long enuff to pawn-off the car onto an unsuspecting buyer. Used to be a rather common practice down here. And my other two favorites: Motor Honey and STP. There's no shortage of "put this magic stuff in your vehicle" products to reinforce the "ignore it and hope it goes away" philosophy of life.

*whew* Seems that the older I get, the longer the stories...

Back