Roller starter project

the sprockets just got here.
and I dirft pinned the rollers to the axles

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 193
I installed the sprockets cut and installed the chains.
left to do: wire the motor, make ramp,chain guard.
But I can test it after it's wired

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 180
I made a temporary chain guard. I will make a better one when I get the material.I drilled 1/4" hole in each end of the rollers I used some 88cent screwdrivers for the driftpins
I guess it's ready for a load test if that goes well I will go for a engine start.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Interesting project. Its always better to build something yourself than just go out and buy it.

I'm not familiar with this device. Is it just for a back-up, if both the on board starter motor and the kick start refuse to work?

Interesting project. Its always better to build something yourself than just go out and buy it.

Agreed.....bummer on the load test Carbon, a few teeth larger driven sprocket maybe...

I'm not familiar with this device. Is it just for a back-up, if both the on board starter motor and the kick start refuse to work?

... kinda like a chevy with a heated tailgate.....:wink2:

Hey RG It's just for starting the XS at home.
When I bought this engine I didn't ask if it still had the starter. And the starter goodies have been removed. And my right knee has been giving me troubles and anything to help plus it is a learning project as much as anything.

would it work better if it was only turning the one roller instead of both?
I don't think it will matter.

Agreed.....bummer on the load test Carbon, a few teeth larger driven sprocket maybe...

... kinda like a chevy with a heated tailgate.....:wink2:

I think the sprocket sizes are good.

I had to stop for awhile to cool my brain.
And here is what is going on.
I decided to break out the ole volt meter :doh: Yes that's right the outlet I was using is125 volts
Tomorow I will use the outlet I plug my welder into. I know it's getting 220volts

Last edited:
Hey RG It's just for starting the XS at home.
When I bought this engine I didn't ask if it still had the starter. And the starter goodies have been removed. And my right knee has been giving me troubles and anything to help plus it is a learning project as much as anything.

I don't think it will matter.

I think the sprocket sizes are good.

I had to stop for awhile to cool my brain.
And here is what is going on.
I decided to break out the ole volt meter :doh: Yes that's right the outlet I was using is125 volts
Tomorow I will use the outlet I plug my welder into. I know it's getting 220volts

What is the voltage required on the motor nameplate?

Want a starter and associated gearing? I stripped all of that off of my build. I would have to go digging for it, but I don't remember getting rid of anything(bad habit of mine).

Nailbomb, Thanks for the offer.
I don't think i will tear this engine apart. It's is freshly rebuilt.
I have restarted the engine rebuild that I started last year.
It has the starter system intact. Then I will sell this engine to someone that needs a kick only fresh rephased engine.
I can kick this engine with my left leg

I'm curious. Do any of you rephased kickstart folks use a unique/modified kickstart technique?
Do you pre-position the crank in favor of a certain cylinder, like some of us did with V-twins?

Hey 2Many, that's an interesting question.
I have been going past the free rotation until it gets to (or what I think is the first cylinder coming up on compression stroke.

Anyway I have rewired the motor to a 50 amp 240 volt plug and will be using that for my power.
That should kick this thing into gear

Hey 2Many, that's an interesting question.
I have been going past the free rotation until it gets to (or what I think is the first cylinder coming up on compression stroke.

Anyway I have rewired the motor to a 50 amp 240 volt plug and will be using that for my power.
That should kick this thing into gear

I saw this on VFT.org products for sale page..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 169
Those are cool I've seen one on web simular to that.
What I found while looking was that most roller starters are around $800 + shipping.
I have under $400 in this one actually a little over $300.

I had to make a on/off while I'm waiting for the switch to show up
Here is the starter running on 240 volts and my goofy on/off switch thingy or is that thingie, oh well no matter
I played both videos at the same time and the 240 configuration is running faster

Back