Royal Enfield Twin

True, that! Since nobody knows what it is, my Eleven Special does that now.

I remember a time when the caption on a photo of the XS-Eleven in Cycle World was: "...when too much, is simply not enough...." - and they had the thing up on its hind wheel at about 40 mph.

I remember a time when the caption on a photo of the XS-Eleven in Cycle World was: "...when too much, is simply not enough...." - and they had the thing up on its hind wheel at about 40 mph.
It’s still very fast. The brakes aren’t up to modern standards. Adequate.

Try this for size:

Surprising how much extra power and torque Hitchcocks were able to take from the engine. Could probably do with a bit more flywheel feel to it though as I alluded to here:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/video-thread.21373/page-64#post-720091

It's a shame the tester only had busy roads near Birmingham on a wet & drizzly day.

I don't like this at all .. Bike is fine and tuned I am thinking about buying one should I get the money
( The stock one .--have seen to many getting problems after increase )
Tuned for power but for Heavens sake stop talking about it.. Drop a gear and give it some stick twist the throttle
The rev counter should at least once be past 12 o clock
Never seen any mate or test rider been so soft .. on the handle In 50 years
Especially not if the bike is tuned as the saying goes "Power is for Using "

60 Hp that is nothing in these days and not the role this bike can fill But its not a Vespa Scooter either
OK Sure thee is some water and it is someone else's bike
But in straight line bike upright more could be shown.

I have still not seen that on the RE ..the high rev ride .. What happens

The Single BSA I have never driven a single big cylinder bike I have known of one B33
No contender difficult to start and I don't think the Gold Star is either if the Price is the same
I Think the styling is better on the BSA But some adjustments on the RE
Saddle / Mudguards and Handlebars and then it is on top or close to the top.of the list

I had the use of a 2019 Interceptor last weekend when I was at Barber. It was my transportation on Friday & Saturday. This one was equipped with a Corbin seat, aftermarket mufflers, stainless fenders, etc. I like the bike. If I didn't have a garage full of XS650, I'd have one. Performance is very similar to our old Yamaha, but there is a nod to 21st century improvements. It turns a bit quicker, the brakes are far better, it has fuel injection, etc. The stock seat is awful. The Corbin is ride all day. The suspension is a bit harsh as compared to my recently serviced XS650 stock suspension. There's nothing about the bike that I dislike that can't be changed easily. I am well over six feet tall with a 36-inch inseam. The ergonomics had me leaned forward enough that I found myself as far forward on the seat as possible to get weight off my hands. Adjusting the bars back a bit would help. I had the issue due to arthritis in my hands. Other than that, I have nothing but a grin on my face. Seat of the pants says it's no faster than our beloved twin. My XS650 starts pulling from stop at around 1500 RPM. The RE won't do that. You have to have over 2000 RPM to engage the clutch. It's certainly a smoother ride than our old twin.

If you really love the XS650 and you don't want to deal with care and feeding of a very old motorcycle, I believe the RE Interceptor could well be the bike for you, especially if cost is a big factor.

Last edited:
Contrast with the fortunes of two countries which managed to be on the losing side, In Germany's case twice and Japan once, after they benefitted from help to rebuild. Just saying.
Britain got a huge lump of Marshall Plan money too.
It was used to prop up an ailing Empire and failing industries.
Usual short-termism.
You don't hear about that, much. In fact, all my life I'd believed as you do, that Japan and Germany got buckets of cash, while all Britain had was a huge war debt. Yes, it had the war debt, but the Marshall Money wasn't used as it should have been.
It was like giving a drunk a hundred dollars outside the pub.

Well, no doubt grew up on UK Govt propaganda, but the way I heard it Britain made the final payment to the USA for WW2 loans on 31st December 2006.

Fully agree that there were short-sighted attempts to prop up failing industries selling outmoded products made in old fashioned factories run by companies more interested in dividends that investment. The parent Royal Enfield company was in trouble by about 1967 and gone by 1970. Meanwhile the Madras factory went on building Bullets for the Indian army.

Fully agree that there were short-sighted attempts to prop up failing industries selling outmoded products made in old fashioned factories run by companies more interested in dividends that investment.

Sort of like....Harley-Davidson?

Got my Cravins.... great bags... thick fiberglass... nice paint. The mounting brackets provided... I think the technical term is... suck. They mount to the bike well.. but use two slots to mount the bags to the brackets.... I didn't care for it.... . So, I cut the slots out.. added a full plate... this provided more support to the bags.... ( I insulated them with rubber mat ). then had the brackets powder coated. I did over 500 miles on a weekend during the summer... the overnight stay at the hotel had a serious thunderstorm... serious rain..... crackling lightning... lite up the parking lot ! ! I discovered the bags are not waterproof... about a tablespoon of water in each... but I garbage bag everything inside. The bike has been great .... smooth.. nice tone... My dealer over the summer sold to a new owner... and of course the new owner adds... dealer prep...etc etc... which adds nearly $1000.oo to the price. Before the price for the RE twins was great.... Great value .... now.. they are starting to creep up and approach the price for the bigger Triumphs.... Will these hurt sales here in the states... ? 😎

Attachments

• RE Bags 1.jpg
    RE Bags 1.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 61
Before the price for the RE twins was great.... Great value .... now.. they are starting to creep up and approach the price for the bigger Triumphs.... Will these hurt sales here in the states... ? 😎
1666112371897.png

Speaking for myself, yes I will choose the bigger Triumph. Fit & finish is also better than RE and fewer upgrades are needed.

.... agree .... the RE price was at a point owners can add upgrades... bling.. etc etc and still have good value... now.. with the price increase not only by RE and dealers... the big Trumpets are look'n better. My buddy is a counter guy at Harley... like RE 650's.... the first thing the Harley rider replaces... exhaust... my bud said they toss dumpsters full of exhaust away over the year. 😎

I love these retro bikes, particularly the REs, not so much Triumph because I feel they are just trading on the name of real, pre 84 Triumphs which are the ones that made names like Bonneville and Trident famous. I also like Kawasaki for it's bevel drive camshaft, something different and boy would I love to pull one of these apart. I came very close to buying an RE, although the Continental GT with it's cafe racer looks drew me in, I thought an Interceptor would be a better fit and easier on my arthritic hands, elbows and neck. It had been 20 years since I'd ridden a bike and RA had invaded my body a couple of years prior, so I thought it prudent to try myself on a smaller bike first, so I bought an XV250.

First I had to buy and fit an Easy pull because my arthritic hands had trouble with the clutch lever. Once fitted I jumped on board for a squirt. Wasn't very successful, still had trouble with the clutch but getting my feet up on the forward mounted pegs also made things difficult, so I sold the thing a couple of weeks later and shelved the plans for buying an interceptor, instead buying a POS XS650. I knew I'd never be able to ride it, but it gave me time in my workshop and hence kept me busy doing what I love. I much prefer building than riding anyway, so I guess it's worked out for the best.

The price point of the Interceptor is a big plus, 10k in Oz and they got very good reviews, the Triumph twice that price. The Indians are coming out with some very interesting bikes now: BSA, Jawa, RE. The Indians have also bought out Norton, but the new Norton looks like any other modern bike so not for me.

Sometimes just surf the web looking at reviews for RE twins, W800s. Triumphs and the thing that gets me is the guys on Triumph sites who say WRT the W800, or for that matter RE, Why buy a retro that pretends to be the real thing when you can buy the real thing? Excuse me, a Thai built Bonneville?

I do pre-delivery and servicing on RE's. My own personal opinion "the best sound is a Ducati with termis, until you hear a 650 RE with Red Roosters". Its a great deep sound.
I recently borrowed the shops Demo 650 RE and went on a 200 Klm ride - I cant fault the bike - its got real world suspension on our rooted roads - passed a road train easily - is planted on the road - handling is fine (I wasnt out to race anyone) - controls are light and easy. From an ownership point of view my advice would be to look after the finish with lots of weather protection and waxes/polishes. Some that have come in for servicing that are say 12 months old and not looked after show lots of deteriation on any chrome and alum surface. For around $10,000 its great value.
Regards Ray.

Just for anybody thinking about the pros and cons of the Interceptor 650, there's this little review from a female perspective. Makes some worthwhile points. Mostly, she stands around in a field talking about the Interceptor versus the new 350 REs but there's also good footage of her riding it around central London with many landmarks which should need no introduction.

Got 24 hours to make up my mind. Lot of extras and the seat looks a bit, Mehhhh, but should be good for long trips. Get the original a well Has a center stand, sump plate, LED headlight and 2 small LED driving lights, pannier racks, (owner has 2 bags he bought for $200 he will let them go for $100, never used), engine protectors, set of performance Mufflers, tank rack, highway pegs, (see how they work. not to far forward and could be good to stretch and rest the legs on a trip), Tank rack, knee pads, and the Givi wind screen. Screen is a bit of an eye saw, could always sell it off and get another, or play around with it.

Gotta be close to a couple of G's worth of extras. The owner bunged his shoulder that won't heal enough to ride it for what he was riding it for. Ha had a 1 tooth larger front sprocket, changed from Factory. 2020 model with 14,000 klm's Price is about right, compared to others for sale it is on the better side for price taking into account the extras. Chrome tank model were top of the model price range when they came out..............seat makes me laugh but then it isn't seen when riding.

6rgluphhdz9rhm7akpumkiudw.jpg
eoyjwpt27yfk5byuk08htaa6c.jpg
ceeimvwo6ktj7oq04418t9sep.jpg
71lb3h9zi2fylv14lusbiveck.jpg

I have not been in that segment of the market ..But I have heard of it " Service Book "
Some machines can have an Upcoming service need a 4 -- 500 ---$ 600 US $
valve adjustment can be particularity difficult would not expect it here but .

The service history adds or set back the value according to what I hear. One gets the paperwork from the dealer to show .
Saddle and windscreen .might be replaced and so

I have not been in that segment of the market ..But I have heard of it " Service Book "
Some machines can have an Upcoming service need a 4 -- 500 ---$ 600 US $
valve adjustment can be particularity difficult would not expect it here but .

The service history adds or set back the value according to what I hear. One gets the paperwork from the dealer to show .
Saddle and windscreen .might be replaced and so

It would be a return trip of 1,300 klm's from Brisbane, (Fly down), Back to Mission Beach, (home), if i get it so that will tell me how the seat and screen perform.

I think this bike would be my long term bike to see me out. Dealer service's won't matter

Hmmmm....looks pretty nice Skull.

I'd lose the flakey handlebars - and buy it.

...and how about this: after you go to Brisbane to get the Interceptor, you swing by Kiwi, pick-up that tastey little GS650G and drop it off to me in Canada.

Lunch - on me.

Deal?

Pete

Last edited:
Back