rusty chrome + steel wool = ?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've always used a brass brush and chrome polish to remove surface rust and little pips but a guy I knew used steel wool and polish . That would be a lot easier. How much harder is chrome than steel wool? The shine he ended up with didn't look matted down or anything,

0000 steel wool, the stuff the French polishers use is the type to get. It works a treat, Buy it at a paint shop. The grade used for cleaning pots is too coarse.
Do not use scotchbrite pads they will damage the chrome.

What the daffy duck are s.o.s. pads mate???
GW,
S.O.S. pads are marketed here in the States as soap impregnated steel wool pads for cleaning pots & pans (as long as they're not Teflon coated!). Just add water and they work up a lather. I agree with Signal: probably too coarse for chrome. I wouldn't try it IMO. Fine steel wool and 3-In-1 oil (a light machine oil with good detergent properties) works too....

I used some dry wall finishing fabric dipped in a mix of gas and oil to clean some rims up once. This is the stuff that sands down the dried joint compound when finishing dry wall. I was amazed at how small a spot of rust can bleed out to cover a surface.

As a short order cook/ grill man in my youth, there were fabric scrubbers that we would clean the grills with. These dry wall fabrics seem the same or similar.

In my experience the best way to polish rusty or pitted chrome is with wadded aluminum foil and the polish or lubricant of your choice -- chrome polish or just about any other metal polish or WD-40 all work well. Aluminum is softer than chrome. This is an old trick, and it really works. Try it. It works fantastic on bad chrome. On chrome that is in pretty good shape it works well too, but can leave fine scratches, but not too badly.

I have tried steel wool and scotchbrite pads. The finer grades don't work, and the coarser grades matte the surface. In my experience aluminum foil works way better and is way safer, faster, and easier. Try it on a small area and see.

One thing aluminum foil is good for is if you have a larger rusty place in the chrome where a chip is out. The aluminum rubs off into it and makes it less noticible, but it's just temporary.

I always heard aluminum foil and Pepsi, Or was it Coke?, I think Pepsi Works well to polish chrome.
Leo

I’m in the fine steel wool and chrome polish camp. If you’re working on exhaust systems that have burned on oil, then I start with steel wool and Kerosene.

Yup 0000 steeel wool is good and frankly, I’ve often used SOS pads on rusty chrome and have never noticed significant scratches.

In my experience the best way to polish rusty or pitted chrome is with wadded aluminum foil and the polish or lubricant of your choice -- chrome polish or just about any other metal polish or WD-40 all work well. Aluminum is softer than chrome. This is an old trick, and it really works. Try it. It works fantastic on bad chrome. On chrome that is in pretty good shape it works well too, but can leave fine scratches, but not too badly.

I have tried steel wool and scotchbrite pads. The finer grades don't work, and the coarser grades matte the surface. In my experience aluminum foil works way better and is way safer, faster, and easier. Try it on a small area and see.

+1 on what he said. Foil.

Aluminum foil and WD40 works well for me. The important thing, though, is to change out the wads often, as the rust bits can serve as an abrasive and scratch the chrome.

I like the wd40 idea. I usually give it a coat of silicone on a rag afterward, but wd forms that nasty film that might protect longer. Makes it a bad lubricant for some things.

I've been using S.O.S. pads for decades, never had a problem. Finish up with chrome polish for a brighter shine. Maybe I'm used to good quality chrome.

Back