rut31's build

Just mainly interested in what you did on the bolt sleeves. I'm guessing you just turned them down some to clearance the bolt head?

Also, any tips on polishing, what steps do you take??
Those are just counterbore bungs I got from bung king. That's actually where I got the idea to try this, seeing their Harley motor mount kit. I made it specifically for my build though. I have the stock top motor mount cut out and have a Frisco tank. Polishing, I experimented with a bunch of stuff. It depends if the piece has deep scratches that you want to get out or casting marks. If so, I just use my mini DA sander and work from low to high grit and throw it on my 1hp bench buffer and use the compounds I need depending on the material.

Last edited:
The polishing looks really, really great! But damn son. Your gonna have a hell of a time keeping it that way :)

Yeah, I have polished stuff and my running bike and haven't touched it in almost 3 years (polishing wise) and still looks pretty good. I do spray some Gibbs oil on it every once in awhile though. If it does, it does...I'm still riding it...:bike:

rut31 wow impressive and what a nice job with the Polish.... The engine is for sure a head Turner. Nice ;) thanks for sharing.

BTW can you do chrome yourself?

Getting closer!! Got most of the wiring done. It looks like a mess, but I know what's going on. You really cant see any of it once the seat is on.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 166
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 126
Hey rut31. Nice build progress. You need more wires. :D

Just a FYI, try the forum's google custom search on "sparx mount spring".
Seems that there's a vibration durability issue...

Thanks, I'll check it out. I had a feeling that's what that was for. I have pretty much the same set-up on my running bike and have had no issues for two years.

Looking good! Im diggin those welds! You do them yourself?

Thanks. Yeah, I did all the welding, although I don't think they look that great, haha.

did you go with it for the old-school-cool aspect? I've always liked it, but heard it's not the most practical.

did you go with it for the old-school-cool aspect? I've always liked it, but heard it's not the most practical.

Yeah, for the most part. I just like the look, but it is a modern wire with insulation wrapped in cloth, not sure if that was the case for the true vintage cloth wire.

Waiting on a couple more things before I can try to fire this thing up!!! Been working on my carbs while I'm waiting.

Attachments

• carbs.jpg
    carbs.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 148
Hey all...first post on here. This is my second xs650 I've built. The first one I had a bunch of help and left it raw which was a lot easier. This one I did a lot of learning and tried to do as much as I could by myself with the tools I have. I'm pretty far along now so there's going to be a bunch of pics.

I like what you did with the left side motor cover. I was thinking on cutting that off mine. It looks like it doesn't belong. Any pics of it on the bike

I like what you did with the left side motor cover. I was thinking on cutting that off mine. It looks like it doesn't belong. Any pics of it on the bike

Thanks!! This is a picture of my running bike, I did the same thing with the left side cover.

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 132
Back