screw adjust vacum carb xs650e

buddy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all been ages, old girl running not bad.
However going to balance the carbs using vacuum bottles. Carbs are 38s on a xs650e.stock.
Question: Anyone come up with a way to turn the adjusting screw between the carbs WITHOUT removing the tank? Bit of a pain to take off the tank and rig a fuel source. Some sort of flex screwdriver or?
Someone thinking outside the box is what is needed here..
Thanks in advance for replies.

On the synch screw, a little movement goes a long way. You should be able to reach it with a small screwdriver with a long shank, working at an angle. If you have any slack at all in your fuel lines, it helps to lift the back of the tank a bit.

They do make special carb adjusting screwdrivers that turn at 90°, but they cost $30 or more. I usually make do with my old Stanley 64-886 screwdriver. This has a 3/16" wide "cabinet tip" straight blade and a 6" long blade. As Griz said, you can usually come in from the side and tweak the screw's setting the small amount it needs to go. This particular Stanley is just about my favorite carb adjusting screwdriver. Everyone should have one (or two) .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-64...047232&hash=item4b2be322ae:g:C8kAAOSwOA1Z-ezm

I have a Long shanked flat blade screwdriver with slightly rounded corners on the blade. works great with the tank on. It takes a bit to get used to it.

That screw is a lot like a lot of other things in life - you can see it clearly but you can't get it.
It looks like the best way to it is from the kick start side with that $30 90 degree driver. But to be able to do it fast and anytime would be worth a lot to me. What the hell, throw the cat another canary, where can I find this 90 driver?

Azman:
That sounded like a good idea. I had an old long shaft screwdriver and I tried it from the kick start side and can see that with a rounded blade it would work. Going to buy a 8-9 inch screwdriver. Got my tubing for the vacuum test, just need the glass bottles now. I could use plastic water bottles but think they are too soft for the vacuum. With the bottles and a way to get at that screw it will make balancing the carbs and easy part of my tune ups.
Hats off to all who have helped with this.

When you make your U-Tube for balancing the carburetors you will find that even a slight difference in pressure can cause the fluid to be sucked out, hence the reason for using catch bottles. These are not necessary if the U-Tube has some sort of dampening to remove pressure fluctuations so you get a smooth fluid movement and a nice steady reading. I took a couple of 6mm plastic BBs from a toy gun and drilled a 1mm hole through them. Threaded onto a fine screwdriver.......

Wet the BBs with a little WD40 and shoved it up the plastic........

repeat for both sides of the gauge and hey presto..........

success!

The screwdriver keeps the hole in the correct orientation and the gauge works perfectly with a very stable fluid level reading. You can use any thing with a fine hole in it, not just plastic BBs, but the downside is the dampener makes it difficult to drain the fluid from the U-Tube for storage. Why drain it? Some fluids will make the PVC plastic go white with time and then you lose visibility of the fluid level e.g. Dot 4 brake fluid. A light oil should work well. I plan to use methylated spirits next time because it will be easy to drain out.

I am sure someone will be able to comment if auto transmission fluid affects the PVC clarity.

With dampening the movement of the fluid is slowed dramatically so there is no pressure on you to act quickly to prevent the liquid being sucked into the catch bottles or engine. The fine hole in the dampener also dramatically slows the passage of any fluid. Below is my quick build with a homemade U-bend (If you have a U-bend it makes life so much easier):
110079-53185b41d775b6a5f52e680edc37043c.jpg

There are loads of comments about U-Tubes on this Forum - Have fun!

Back