Sealer washer questions and oil leaks

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you guys help me with some questions?

1. The 4 copper sealer washers that are on the right casing (bottom 4 bolts)...what size are they, and can I get them from hardware stores or do I have to get them off Mike's?

2. I am leaking oil out of the bottom of my crankcase. It 'appears' to be coming from a couple of domed nuts and retaining bolts. Attached is the image...I am referring to #'s 19's and 17's.

a. Could I be leaking oil from elsewhere and since these are the 'low points' on the crankcase, the dripping oil from the bolts/nuts is distracting from the real culprit?

b. What sizes are the 'washer plain' in this diagram and what sizes are the 'gaskets' which I believe to be the copper sealing washers (for the domed nuts)?

3. I rode from Columbus, OH to Cincinnati, OH (back roads) and back and the engine gets really hot...do you guys recommend the 'oil cooler' that is on Mike's?

I know I missed a bunch of stuff...I'll reply with answers :).

Thanks,

Ryan
==============
1981 XS SH

If you have access to a well stocked hardware store you might match them.
Parts like these are readily available from the dealer.

The way the wind moves oil it could be from somewhere else.
Common culprits for oil leaks showing on bottom:
drain plugs, push rod seal, drive shaft nut loose

You could spray with starting fluid to dry the oil then dust with baby powder to find the weep. Not very eco-sensible. Starting fluid is nasty dangerous stuff. But it will locate the seep.

For a bit on the oil cooler look at Dogbunny's thermometer thread(classified or shop section). Someone posted the difference they were seeing.

Back