seat on xs650 vs seats on other models

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone knows if the metal part of the seat (not cover and damping material) on the xs650 seat is the same as on other models?

My seat cover is okej, but some of the sides on the metal part has rusted away. So before I tries to restore it, I thought of checking up second hand seats.

/Martin

Last edited:
seat is the same as on the xs750/850?
No, they are rather different. should be able to find a stock seat though, Even in Europe there are lots of modded bikes with owners who save every scrap.

Okej, thanks. I will through away a question on some of the local market forums here in Sweden. I think there are one or two small xs forums as well

One idea is to build up the side with metal net and metal epoxy. Anyone done that before? Or any good ideas on repairing bad seats (metal part)?

A guy down south of Sweden has a original seat for sale, but it's from a xs650 Special, so with the stuffing material and cover it looks very different.

Does anyone knows if the metal part and parts are the same as on the standard edition? Would it fit?

/Martin

The metal pan is different on a special compared to a standard. I am not sure HOW different but it is not a bolt on.

The '80 and up Special seat attachment is vastly different from yours. But I'm not sure about the 78 and 79 Special. You could ask him to send you a picture of the bottom.

Okej, rust particles was coming out from beneat the seat. One side and a lot of the back side looking rusty. So I disassembled the seat completely, found a lot of rust on the downside surface and between the foam stopper and the pan, and that one side wall was rusting away with destroyed hookes for the cover.

-removing all rust on surface with steel brush on the electric drill
-rust converter
-hammarite
-new side list
-glueing the seat cover where there are no hooks left

I'm quite happy with the results. No particles of rust falling out from the seat, and hopefully it will resist the rust some time more....

M

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 84
looks nice. hope the glue holds.
Mabe use sheet metal screws were the pan rusted away?

Looks nice. As for the glued places, you can use staples there. Ask a guy who does convertible tops or upholstery if you can borrow his stapler. Some bikes don't have any hooks and use staples only.

Thanks! Since almost all hooks were okej I think the small strip without will hold with the glue. We'll see during the coming season... If not, I may try the staples. At least I will not have to be irritated on rust particles falling down into the bike...

The 78/79 Special seat will go on a standard. The hinges line up with the Standard model, I can't remember which way round it is but either the standard latch wont fir the special or the special latch wont fit the Standard. I think you can swap the latches to make the seat snib

that's in much better shape than mine was, the whole seat pan was gone. (basically it was the foam holding the seat together). i used what i think is a standard seat, hinge locations were slightly different, had to cut and reweld the tabs, but it works reasonably well...

have a 79 special.

Back