set valve clearance,noticed somthing?

jo jo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry for all the novice questions but, i was wondering why the end of the valve adjuster on the two exhaust valves are not pointed in to the center of the valve.just seemed like the back intake were more centered. Is this how it should be or do i have somthing bent or warped? thank u for your time.

Can you post a pic? Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but the adjuster screws are tangent to the arc of the circumference of the end of the rocker arm. Imagine being able to rotate a rocker 360º - the adjuster screw axis will change its angle accordingly.

Whether the adjuster screw should be in line with the valve stem when the valve is closed, I can't answer. But the angle in relation to the valve will change as the rocker position changes.

Last edited:
I think its because the end of the adjuster actually follows a circular motion, although it only moves a few mm. So the when the tappet goes down it should move towards the center of the valve stem.

Yes, they do set a bit off from center and the intakes are different from the exhaust. Just the way they are.
Leo

Thank u xsleo. Do u kno how i can tell if a bike is running lean on a 1978 xs650? And if so what jets to use?

Offset rockers are pretty common. On some bikes, this offset even rotates the valve a little each time it opens and closes. This can make them last longer as they're not always closing on the same spot.

If you've done mods and not re-jetted, there's a good chance you're running lean. Read the carb guide in the tech section. That explains all about jetting and gives symptoms of running lean.

Back