1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

She should of hid the van keys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I know for sure Roadstar are nikasil coated cylinders and was told to never hone. Dont know anyone on the Roadstar Clinic that had to hone anyways :shrug: Some guys have over 200,000 miles and counting on stock bore!:yikes: Hope you get it up and goin soon Gary. JC

MaxPete, gggGary and Jim like this.
  2. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Yeah debated the hone but I doubt a light ball home did any harm, saw some numbers RE nikasil thickness vs hone material removal, seems there is plenty of material, and wanting new rings to "seat" seems like a reasonable risk benefit, trade off. Rings were not cheap $82 for ONE piston. In any case the hone is done.
    FWIW the LH piston top is uniformly covered with carbon, not mostly washed clean like the RH. This may be a head scratcher. There's some whispers on the inter-webs RE oil consumption, small sump, sump extension kits exist. Currently the ergo's don't work for me. First up is a handlebar change. Looking for a "higher" bar with not much pull back.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 6:50 AM
    Mailman, Jim, 59Tebo and 1 other person like this.
  3. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

You better closely check the handlebar size. Many Euro bikes use 22mm, not 7/8" bars. 7/8" is slightly larger and may not fit down into the handlebar clamps, and the control assemblies may not fit on. You may want to test fit some 7/8" bars you have on hand before buying any.

59Tebo and gggGary like this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

...and if you don't happen to have any 7/8" bars to try Gary - I can loan you some...:lmao:

59Tebo and gggGary like this.
  5. gggGary

Back on the road!
    20190815_151132.jpg
    Runs good, quiet, no leaks, more power, ;)
    Will put on some miles, check synch, retorque cylinder studs, reset valves, check plugs and compression.

6. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Way to go Gary!!!

TEuPnYZ.gif

gggGary likes this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Man you do fast work! And you saved that bike, I believe it was headed for the dusty back corner of someone’s garage , and eventually the scrap heap. Well done! :thumbsup:
    D7AFEEF7-A2C2-4F5B-B6C5-62859E2195ED.gif

Jim likes this.
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

So Gary...whatdaya say......

gggGary, Mailman and Jim like this.
  9. 5twins

Yes, Guzzis are known for needing several head re-torques when new or freshly rebuilt. I blew a head gasket on mine because nobody told me about that.

MaxPete, gggGary and Mailman like this.
  10. madmax-im

madmax-im XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Damn..thats a nice ride ..Congratulations on saving another one from the trash heap...:cool:

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  11. gggGary

DTSSF!
    OK I think I have the story now.
    After the overhaul and running good Thursday, I checked compression Friday morning (155), and went out for a 100 mile ride. Part way though, the PO's problem returned, on down shifting and coming to a stop the motor would quit. Restart, hold light throttle for a bit and it would idle just fine. Stayed that way the whole ride. Got home, down shifted the last hill. pulled the clutch, motor quit, coasted in. Later pulled the plug,
    20190818_160240.jpg
    it was dry just a little dark no soot no oil, did a compression test, RH 60 pounds, CRAP! Parked it and walked away.
    Did some other projects and thought on it. This morning I decided to do what I should have done a week ago.
    DTSSF!
    Do the simple (stuff) first
    Checked valve clearances, they were both completely tight.
    Torqued head bolts, again, and set valves, all is good, runs great, compression 160PSI.
    So here's my thoughts, When I checked compression and found it low, tight valve clearance on this side (IE none) was the original problem.
    Unfortunately I had done some internet "research" and found several "bad head gasket was the problem " posts. I got in a hurry, EXPECTING to find a bad gasket and did the tear down BEFORE I did the simple stuff first. Then when the head gasket appeared to have been fine, I was lost as to what the problem had been. So did the usual, fix everything near to hand, and put it back together, hope the problem disappears.
    This is a push rod motor. When I first removed the head, the studs were not very tight, far from spec. These engines, like XS650's like to be retorqued, manual calls out a 600 mile from new head stud torque. My guess; it either was not done or like I did, it was torqued, valves set, buttoned back up. When the gasket squeezes down it takes away valve clearance. Way above you will find a pic of the exhaust valve not seating. Pretty sure now it was just no clearance causing it to leak.
    So if I had DTSSF I could have avoided a day and half labor and $180 in parts and machining. And some choice thought RE Moto Guzzi and their engineers. Well I'll rack up some more miles, maybe check valves one more time. The interweb usually opines; keep Guzzi valves on the loose side, if you can hear the tappets the valves are happy, sound familiar?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    jetmechmarty, MaxPete, GLJ and 4 others like this.
  12. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Wow! Well look on the bright side Gary. We had a lot of fun watching you figure this out! :D Seriously though, I did enjoy seeing how you reason your way through this. It’s always a learning experience. ( if an expensive one )

Jim likes this.
  13. gggGary

Well the good news is I called the PO last weekend and he sent a check for $200 to help cover the undisclosed issue.

14. 5twins

Yes, but you're "busted" if he reads this, lol.

Guzzis are an odd bird, not for everyone. But, they do have a very charismatic engine. It kinda grows on you, lol.

15. MaxPete

Good for you Gary!

BTW - I am envious as I have always had a thing for the Guzzi.

Pete

Mailman, gggGary and Jim like this.
  16. gggGary

17. Moabite

Moabite XS650 Enthusiast Top Contributor

Moab, utah
    ...expecting pic...

Jim, MaxPete, Mailman and 1 other person like this.