Shift linage problems - help

It looks like your pivot to your linkage is longer on your shifter than on your engine, this is quite possably what is causing the problem as well as they are both on a different part of the arc.

- GMJ...are your shift link and direction of shift shaft travel parallel?...your link looks to me to be acute to the direction of shift shaft travel-this will have the effect of binding the shaft in the alu casing...?

The two allen bolts just hold the shift arm from rotating and not actuating the shift art. - no binding or any interference.

BigJimmy how can you achieve free play with a direct linkage seet up?

Don't you need the shift arm to rotate? if it doesn't how does it move down to change gear?

jay760, The two bolts secure the foot peg shift arm to rotae withthe shift pedal

INXS, You mean the lever at the trans and the lever at the foot peg shifter need to be parrallel?

How well does it shift with the engine not running? A dragging clutch can cause your hard to shift issues. Clutch drag can have several causes, adjustment procedure not followed, warped clutch disc or disks, notched basket fingers, I am not expert here but aren't there possible issues with a clutch bearing also? From your pictures it is hard to tell how well lined up the linkage is side to side is the linkage rod parallel to the bike fore aft or is it at an angle?

i'm not sure if it's just the picture, but your bar appears bent. This will introduce non-linear forces. maybe try straightening that?

The lenght of the arm from the shift shaft and your rear set should be about the same. What you have is ok. the angle from the connecting rod to the arms should be 90 degrees.
If you look at the angle of the rod to the arm on the shifter shaft, you see it's about 90 degrees. The angle from the rod to the arm on the rearset shifter is much more, 105-110 maybe.
Making the rod 1/2 - 3/4 inch longer and make a new plate that hooks the rod to the rearset shifter.
With your current setup you may have full movement of the rear shifter, but you don't have full movement of the front shift arm.

Thanks for everyones input, problem solved. When I installed a new clutch cable I neglected to back off all the slack before adjusting the pushrod screw. It shifts fine, still a little iffy finding neutral, but I recall these bikes had that issue and were not the slickest shifting bikes either.

Here's my current cable set up, will buy a single rod that is straight, but this wrks for now. Some new issues I'll start another thread for help - again thanks alll.

IMG_1825.jpg

Back