Shinko 230 tires, anyone ever run them?

barelycompetent

81 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Hey all, I know this debate is endless on which tire is the best for these bikes, some people have their preferences but I had a question about these shinko 230 tires. Has anyone ever run them on their bikes? I just ordered up a set to try on my bike, and was wondering if anyone had them and what they liked or disliked about them. After riding at highway speeds the other day, on a very windy day the bike gave me a little wobble at 70-75. After inspecting the tires, should have done that in the first place I know, I found that I had a dunlop on the rear, and a kenda on the front. Dont know how I missed that before lol. They are in pretty decent shape, however they dont handle that well and I would prefer to have matching tires front and back. So I have an 81 special, and I ordered a 130/90 16 for the rear, and a 100/90 19 for the front. Hopefully that will improve my ride a little lol. Anybody who has run these in the past are there any issues with cornering or traction on wet roads? Thanks in advance for any replies, opinions, or advice. The reviews seem pretty decent, and I am currently running a set of kenda 671's on a cm400 that I havent had any issues with, but like I said I wanted to try these out.

I have not tried the 230's but have gone through several sets of 705's and 712's on various bikes.
My impression of Shinko is that you get 95% of what is possible in a tire for 50% of the price. They have excellent wet and dry traction and last a reasonably long time. The 705's on my Suzuki DR650 would go around 6k rear and double that on the front. The 712's on my Guzzi T3 have 3k on them and are showing little wear.
There have been no stability problems with either. The guzzi spends a lot of time in the 70-80 mph range and I can tell no difference from the Metzler's that I had previously.
I believe you will be quite pleased with Shinko's.

Thats pretty much what all of the reviews say lol. I imagine just matching up the front and rear tire should improve the handling somewhat, course the shocks and suspension are a big part of that as well.

Not drag up an old post but just figured I would update. I have a little over a hundred miles on my new tires, and I have to say the handling has improved and they feel really well. No rain riding as of yet, so I cant say how they will do there, or how they will hold up but so far so good, I am liking these tires, and for the price they cant be beat.

Back