shinko 705

teamkandy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in the shinko 705 tires for my bike. I have spoke wheels 19 front and 18 rear.

I am wondering those that have purchased this tire did you buy tube type or tube less tires? I am curious if it matters in this tire? Obviously I need tubes I just don't know if I have to purchase tube type tires in the 705s.

I am also wondering if you purchased the the stock wheel sizes or a little different size? Going on my Tracker.

I picked up some Bridgestone and Shinkos at stock size, I put tubes in everything I run even with tubeless tires.

I bought Shinko 705's for my Tracker project. Looks good on the front, but small on the rear. Here is a 27x7x19 Maxxis next to a Shinko705 110/80/19. This is both tires on the skinny Yammie 19 inch front wheel.

cd3vs7052.jpg

Got to my tracker thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9843&page=4

scroll down to post 73 for a little more

Last edited:
I have a question. Does the tire manufacturer know if your bike has spoke wheels or mags? I'll bet he doesn't. I doubt if they know if any bike has mags or spokes.
This makes the tire manufacturer design tires to run with or without tubes.
So any tire going on a spoke wheel gets a tube.
In the beginning of inflateable tires the tire was designed to carry the load and have tread. Holding air was not part of the design. The tube did that part. After a few years they figured out how to make a tire hold air. This was used as a marketing tool. They claimed a tubless tire was a vast improvment over tube tires and boldly marked tires as tubeless. Now most vehicle tires run tubless and are not marked as such, lost much of the advertising hooplaw. Motorcycles right from the start used spoked wheels. So they never got tubless tire until they started using mag wheels. Even some of those required tubes.
Now being that bikes can come with mags or spoked wheels a tire maker can't make a tire that runs just tubed or tubeless. They have to make them able to run either. JNust think of the lawsuits there would be if they tried. I think some tires still marked tube or tubless not so much for weither they can run both, but to lookmore authentic for older bikes.
Leo

ok it looks like it does not matter on the tire which ever type of tire is in stock would work. I am looking at 120/80 -18 or 4.10p-18 for rear both motorcycle super store. Is that not the same size? On the front I am after the front tire like racerdave 110/80-19 there some price difference from the 110/80Q-19 and the Radial tire. Do I really need to fork out the extra money for the higher speed rating of the radial tire? I don't get my 650 above 100 very often?

I like the look of the shinko 705 and the Avon Distenza DS tires. My budget is of the shinko tire line if I want to buy all the other parts needed after winter tear down to fix and tweek. :cussing:

I do 80 percent of my ridding on the back road black top twisters and the other 20 percent around town. I am wondering how the 705's do on the curves.

I usually buy the best sport tire I can afford I am little hesitant on pulling the trigger on DS tires those that have had both would I be happier with something like a shinko 712?

I love the 705. its a pretty soft compound, you can easily squish with your thumb. Did very well on curves going way too fast...

I ran a 120/80-18, fitment perfect on the stock rim. It was non radial rear, radial front. I dont believe the size I used in rear is available in radial.

I run the Shinko 705 on my Vstrom and am very happy with it. Does pretty damn good in the rain as well, even had a few times of loosing the back end and it is pretty controllable. I know it depends a lot on the bike but I am likely going to run them on my XS as well since they do so well... not to mention the price!

I run the 705s on both my KLR650 and BMW GS.....great tires.

They stick well, last many miles and dont do to bad off road in the easy to moderate stuff.

From my experience you shouldn't mix radials and nonradial tires. If you must use the radial on the rear. The better grip of radial tire on the front can make the rear let loose in corners.
The radial tires are more tire than you can use on an XS650. Most any cruiser type tire will handle most needs on most XS650's. Those that get extensive suspension mods a sportier tire can be used.
A 120 wide tire is about 4.75 wide so a 120/80-18 is wider than a 4.10-19.
Leo

Thanks everyone,

I did some checking and Leo your correct on the sizing and the radial combo problems. I just went with 705s in the sizes I was after 110/80-19 120/80-18. I got them in from the big brown truck today. I have good friend that does powder coating out of his family run machine shop an he did my wheels and hubs. Bought new spokes and I did the front and let my 9 year old daughter do the rear. I gave here my direction I printed off from link off the forum and got her started and she knocked it.

Attachments

• alexis-lacing-wheel.jpg
    alexis-lacing-wheel.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 251
Awesome teamkandy, I think u made an excellent choice. Far as mixing tires... I beat the snot out of my bike, rode it harder in a day than most would in a lifee time, maybe I just got lucky, but if one end were gonna step out on me, id prefer it were the rear...

I love getting the kids involved too... good job dad!

How did you end up liking this setup? Im shopping around for the right set of DS tires for my XS and at the moment im leaning this way.

Thanks!

Back