Shorted regulator maybe?

Cadergray

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I recently rewired my bike which is an 83 special and I finally got spark, yay. I still need to put carbs on and it was late so when I came back the next morning I put my charged battery back in and kicked the heck out of it with no spark. I then grabbed the multimeter and the system had read 12.4v previously but was now reading in the 13's. Could I have shorted the regulator in my jank wiring setup?

I don't think the regulator does anything unless the bike is running. Then it regulates the alternator's output to the battery. Your higher reading battery is probably because you just charged it.

Just to add to what was said, the regulator when it goes bad either over charges or under charges. You will only find this out once you get the bike running.
What wiring diagram did you use to wire the bike? was it just using the stock harness and hooking up enough to spark or something in between?
On the 83 bikes there are a lot of safety items that can cause spark issues. The side stand switch and relay are one such item. It originally prevented riding the bike with the sidestand down by stopping the ignition when put in gear. If it has problems, like a bad switch or wiring it can cause spark issues.
How did you test tyhe spark? The TCI ignition uses a dual out put coil. This coil whenit fires runs spoark down one plug wire to the plug, jumps the gap then flows through the head to the other plug then jumps the gap, up the plug wire back to the coil. When testing you need both plugs hooked up If you don't you won't get good spark.
Leo

Ok I used a barebones diagram and to test it i had on plu hooked up in its place and put the other one on bare metal on the exhaust.

Back