Show Us Yer Junk!

I have a very complex and demanding job - and my whole career has been meetings, presentations and papers - conferences, lectures, books, files, etc. etc. and I am tired of that too so I want to down-size the files and swap over to working with my hands. I want to get up in the morning and do what I want to do - not what some committee mandates for me. I'd much rather get an old snowblower running than go buy a new one - sort of Mustie1 style. I'll be retiring in August, so I am off-loading stuff and tasks onto younger colleagues or just ditching them - and so the end is nigh....

Is that too much to ask?

Sounds perfect to me! Don’t let em talk you into staying just a little bit longer or working part time ( :cautious: it’s just a ruse to keep you from leaving ) :hellno:

Quite interesting. I did pretty much the opposite about 5 years ago. Kinda...

Wife and I were fed up living in the overcrowded and overpriced city. A million dollars wouldn’t even buy you a parking spot where we lived haha.

We went up the coast and into the county (kinda sorta/ still 3 miles to the beach) and bought a little piece of property (just under 2 acres). I started a contracting business fixing other people’s damage and doing a good deal of off the wall projects and restoration work.

we’ve got a small fruit orchard and a garden where we grow most of what we eat but with that there does come a need for a lot of stuff haha. Nothing collects dust but if you compared my place to my friends in “town” you say we got a lot goin on haha.

couldn’t be happier though

- our physical house is some what small but I spend 80% of the day outside anyways. Do most of my sleeping outside in the summers too haha

Last edited:
@gggGary here is my homemade spatula, the handle is made from a single 6’ piece of either 1/8” or 3/16” (can’t remember) round rod. The flat part is just a worked and polished piece of stainless. It doesn’t get used much as it’s kinda unwieldy at almost 1lb. But intruders beware.
F8C8A361-E7F2-4AD6-AF64-FF8F5A62AF3E.jpeg
A1965A88-A3FB-4302-ACC3-116871EB7303.jpeg
72C0F7B7-8F80-4394-B7D9-51E0443DF1A0.jpeg

@gggGary here is my homemade spatula, the handle is made from a single 6’ piece of either 1/8” or 3/16” (can’t remember) round rod. The flat part is just a worked and polished piece of stainless. It doesn’t get used much as it’s kinda unwieldy at almost 1lb. But intruders beware.
View attachment 185817 View attachment 185818 View attachment 185819
On your advice ran the pan upside down through a 400 oven cycle twice now, used grease from frying. seasoning has a slightly mottled appearance. is that normal?

20210301_072551.jpg

Last edited:
On your advice ran the pan upside down through a 400 oven cycle twice now, used grease from frying. seasoning has a slightly mottled appearance. is that normal?
Its not abnormal, 400F was the temp for olive oil. Fats/oils with higher smoke point may need a higher temp to polymerize. If its mottled looking just run it through the oven again at like 450F for an hour with no new oils on it, or just cook with it. It will even out.

View attachment 185820
Yes, that’s normal. I use lard and get exactly the same. Some processed “vegetable” oils will leave a nice glass finish, but I now avoid consuming any of that as much as I am able. So, mottled it is!

I use 350F oven. I try to avoid smoking the lube. For me, lard at 350 works great. I believe avocado or coconut oil tolerate over 400 degrees.

Ahhhhh.....the North American breakfast diet: "I'd like an order of fat with a side of cholesterol please."

sure listen to last weeks "science" Pete. The egg thing has been thoroughly debunked. I'll take natural fats over hydro-poly-fookerized chemical concoctions. TYVM

Ahhhhh.....the North American breakfast diet: "I'd like an order of fat with a side of cholesterol please."
I switched to a high fat diet almost two years ago. I have never felt better! I avoid all processed oils as I am able. Healthy fats only. I also avoid sugar. I know I just went down a rabbit hole. The cast iron skillets are my friend. I enjoy my bacon & eggs with avocado or greens, no toast.

....and don't ferget the salt!
Yeah, Pete, I retired two years ago (already?!). Best decision of my life. 40 years + 2 days as one of Ma Bell's misguided children. 401k and a pension. The numbers were right, so I said "adios". Now I get to do whatever I damned well please.... I don't regret it in the least.

You start breakfast by cooking bacon, then you fry up hash browns in the bacon grease, then finally fry up eggs in the remainder of the grease. Then so everyone is happy you put a spoonful of grease on the dogs food.

You start breakfast by cooking bacon, then you fry up hash browns in the bacon grease, then finally fry up eggs in the remainder of the grease. Then so everyone is happy you put a spoonful of grease on the dogs food.
And listen attentively for the rumblings that might precede a rush to the door.

Today a sign at the top of the street said "Yard Sale Everything Free":thumbsup:. I made two trips with the El Camino. I was reminded that this stuff was not junk. It`s "inventory". One full load of yarn & crochet string in Glenda`s side of what used to be my garage and another load in the regular garage of the house. There was a low murmuring of moving the cars to another place but I squelched that suggestion immediately.:yikes: Tomorrow is Garage Sale day:shootme:
junk & stuff 002.JPG

Back