Side cover bolt order

ejdirin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid question.....

I took the engine side covers off and the bolts all different lengths and I lost my diagram for putting them back on. Anybody have an exploded diagram of each side cover? Trial and error will probably take me too long. I have a 79 XS. Thanks in advance!

Start with the short bolts, wherever they will work, then next longest, until they're all in.

The actual tightening order ought to be a bolt on side one, then on side two, etc, like head bolts or spare tire on a car. Just good form.

P.S. Also, choke all the way up on the rachet handle when you tighten these, like you do with spark plugs. Makes it harder to overtighten. Overtightening leads to hell on Earth.

If you slide a bolt in and when the threads touch and the bolt head is about 3/8's inch from the case then it's right. If the bolt head sticks out much more it is wrong. If the head hits the case before the threads touch it's wrong.

A more experienced member explained that if , while looking at a part number for a fastener, you look at the middle part of the part number, the screw/bolt size is given in mm then the length.
Example : 91316-06025-00. One of the screws holding the alternator cover on. Size is 6mm , length is 25 mm. That's help me a lot when looking for fasteners at my local hardware store. :bike:

Sundie I'm only passing along what I have learned from more experienced members. I'm forever in their debt on a million things.

Back