sight glass ?

Dusty

Dusty
Reaction score
I have an 81 650 motor in the project I'm building. Thanks to the help here, it is now running, and the flashers work. This is the first 650 I have had with a sight glass in the right case. My question is, what is supposed to happen there ? I filled my engine with oil, and I don't see anything, and when it's running I don't see anything. Maybe the oil is so clean that I'm looking right through it ?????? Is it supposed to drip or something when it's running ?

there should be a "min" mark and "max" mark on the cases right beside it. You hold the bike level crouch down and look at it. The oil should be somewhere between those lines. you won't see anything while it's running.

I put 2 qts. of oil in, and the dip stick reads full. I can see no level line in the sight glass. The engine is a low miles unit. ( 9000 ) miles. I guess I'll drain the oil check the filters and pull the cover again. I'm pretty sure the oil pump is working because it was leaking real bad from the filter cover untill I replaced the gasket.

maybe xs' dont have the min max marks on the case....both my Ducati's have that. so i'm not sure what the purpose of the window is if you have a dipstick still.

tilt the bike over to the side and see if the window fills up with oil.. you might just not have enough oil in it. Or you're checking it with the bike on the sidestand and not the centerstand.

On my 82 case there are lines on each side of the sight glass. With the bike on the center stand on level ground the oil is about half way between the marks, same as the dip stick. You usually can't see the oil when its running. Some times if the ground isn't level you can.

WOW, I guess ya gotta read the book ! It says almost 3 qrts. I only put in 2. I added the 3/4 of the 3 rd. quart and presto, oil in the glass. It is way over the marks on the dip stick. Maybe I have the wrong stick, or it doesn't matter if you have the sight glass.
Now onto my brake trouble. Thanks guys.

I thought that as well, but I have no way to make sure. The glass reads at half mark, dip stick reads way high. I might have the wrong stick, but I don't know how that could be. I guess I'll have to run it and see if it huffs oil.

Back