Simple Carb Mixture Screw and Sync Adjustments

I'll give it a try and see what works. I'm pulling the carbs today to replace the throttle shaft seals,going up one more size on the pilots and will have to start over on my settings anyway.

There is a rather new size available for your pilots now, a 32.5. They used to jump 5 numbers from 30 to 35 but now, like I said, you can get a 32.5. 35s will most likely be too rich (if that's what you were thinking is one more size up). Seek out the 32.5. Many times it's just perfect for the '78-'79 carb set.

Yep,35's are what I have.Thought that was a big jump, I'll get some 32.5. Do you have a source for them? I've just looked and 650central has them.

That's just it, since they're new, many places don't list them yet. You just have to search around until you find a place that does have them, and I see you have. Remember, this is the VM22/210 type we're speaking of here.

Thank you 5twins, I'll order them up. Is it just me or are the markings getting smaller! I had to get the magnifying glass out...

I use a 6" long Stanley screwdriver with a 3/16" cabinet tip and come at it from the left side, tank still in place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-66-...S_Srewdrivers_Nut_Drivers&hash=item19e604fecf
Coincidentally, I also use a 6" Stanley with a 3/16" tip, except mine doesn't have the cushion grip. Not sure how it found its way into my tool cabinet, I know I didn't buy it, but I use it a lot.

BTW, I've been meaning to return to this thread -- I'd like to be vindicated by a beginner who reports back regarding how easy the manometer-less sync works for them and how anyone can do it...

Actually, neither is mine. It was the gold and red handled version and I've had it for years. Then last summer, a guy I was helping with his bike broke it on me. I was pissed. He used it as a pry bar and broke the tip right off, duh. It's true, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, lol. Ebay came to my rescue though and I bought what I hope will be a lifetime supply, lol .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-L...id=100033&prg=9336&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=141237605320

...... and that guy is never touching any of my tools again. This has got to be about the handiest carb tuning screwdriver I've ever run across.

Nice tools... I think my "free" one is an economy model, it is non-translucent and is black with yellow.
I meant to add that I do it from the RIGHT side, tank still in place.

When I was going to buy the bike I was told to check pressure with hand at exhaust to see if it was even. I took bike to shop to have carbs gone through... been two years since...everything has been fine. But lately noticed I have to adjust idle after warmed up to turn it back down to 1200. I'm assuming it the butterfly seals. Just haven't had time to do. So learning to do this on my own would be great. Was thinking manometer but like the simplicity of this...and I can hear good so just gotta learn what to hear for. I do read a lot of threads and try to find out as much as I can before I post something stupid. Don't wanna get on 5twins bad side.lol so for he and you more knowledgeable guys have been great. Be lost without this site!

Oh yeah and I have a slight popping on right side on decel...checked plugs(reading up on that to)right side is slightly wet. Did head retorque to help but read could be rings and seals to. So just doing little by little learning from everyone on the way

#Ethanol-free gas# is gas with less than 10% ethanol.
Real gas can still be bought in small airports where the will let you ride in to the pumps.

So, I tried your method last night.
worked like a charm had her purring like a kitten in minutes.
I wont be tuning these bikes with a manometer any longer I'll tell you that much for certain.

Yes, its clear that the "hand feel method" will get the carb sync done for some riders. For those that have doubt about their ability to feel a difference, there is the alternative method of using a manometer.

Kudos to DogBunny, for bringing this simple method to out attention.

Got my jbm manifolds on and motion pro 6mm vacuum adapters in...with the simplicity of dogbunnys adjustment got my bike running even better. No more rumble out the pipes downshifting... set to the richer side(just a little)[/ATTACH] uploadfromtaptalk1401236574749.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401236602159.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401236602159.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
DogBunny rocks... " The XS650 is not a space ship' "These are really simple procedures to do on a simple bike like the XS650. Don't-over-think this stuff or stress yourself out or be afraid of doing them. They ARE necessary, so be sure to spend the 60 seconds it takes to do them and then get on with your life. " Awesome attitude my friend! Made my day!

payaso13, I like the 6mm vacuum adapters in the 38s. I want to take this approach as my boots are no longer made for walkin' but does the left carb adapter not interfere with the throttle??

Yes it does...I got the idea from another member (Maurice I think)...all you have to do is take a dremel and trim a tip off of spring...it will still hold on bracket. If you need a closer pic let me know

Back