Single Disc upgrade...?

Demorgan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi! i got a '77 with a single disc up front which looks like damned manhole cover...is there an easy modern, and attractive replacement? cheers!

EBC has the upgrade . I got the wavie style Mikes xs sells the round .

image.jpg

Yeah it is definitely "old school" and weighs a ton too. Take a look at this thread but recognize that no one makes a spacer for the available modern rotors and Brembo caliper depending on your wheel. I have a '79 with a wire wheel and nothing was commercially available. Cast wheels may be different in regards to spacer needs. The guys in the second link below have them for other Yamas but not the XS650.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1426713

http://www.motolanna.com/shop/search.php?q=brake+spacer&searchbutton=Search

Last edited:
I went with Mike's rotor. Bolt on, comes with the spacers for the caliper... works great!

I also upgraded the brake line and new pads from MMM at 650central. Well worth it.

full

Change to a 10 or 11mm MC and the good vesrah pads and you are in Flynn.

oh yeah, that looks WAAAAAY better! the stock one is indeed massive and ugly... am in UK though, so Mikes might end up being tres expensive what with import duty yadda yadda...

I beleive MotoLanna caliper brackets for Brembo 4-piston calipers, and disc spacers for the SR500 will fit the later XS models (35 mm fork) Just be aware that there are 2 types of common Brembo calipers, the early ones have 40 mm bolt spacing, the later have 65 mm spacing. Also the bolt thread is different, the early 40 mm have M10x1.50 standard metric bolts, and the later 65 mm have M10x1.25 "japanese standard" bolts.

If you want to spend serious money, ISR in Sweden will make a disc to your spec, with whatever offset, diameter, configuration you want. HPS in the UK are the easiest way for you to get ISR discs. I had a 320 disc with 23 mm offset made for my XS, then I ended up with 1-2 mm clearance between fork and floater buttons.

Back