skip at high RPM

crosleyguy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 80 XS 650 it will not run at high engine speeds it will rev up fine on kickstand but while running on road just wont accelerate I cleaned carbs but no luck it idles fine crosleyguy

The '80 should have a TCI ignition triggered by a magnet on the alternator rotor that can weaken over time. The charging system produces enough current to interrupt the ignition signal.

What's your battery voltage at idle and 3k rpm? Try unplugging the regulator to remove the charging system power. Then (short) test ride. If successful, replace the magnet, or the entire rotor.

Plenty of threads on "rare earth magnet".

Then again the TCI could be failing.....Lotsa threads on that too....

thanks for the replys on my 80 650xs you guys talked about the trigger PU I went after it & I touched the rotor with some carbon tec & immediately it perked up so I test drove without air boxes off & it ram a whole lot better got the RPMs up to about 6500 but still has a lag so I will probably replace the Pick up ill read more about the magnet which I don't understand yet got dark had to leave it thanks from crosleyguy

Ok, In the rotor is a magnet. The picks up read this magnet to tell the coil when to fire.
As the magnet ages it gets weaker. If it gets weak enough the magnetic feild of the rotor can cover up the weak magnet, enough so the pick ups can't read it.
With your battery fully charged unplug the reg/rec connector, this disables the rotor. disabling the rotor eliminates it strong magnetic field so the pick ups can read the magnet. If this improves the way the engine runs you need to add a new magnet.
Radio Shack sells rear earth magnets. Item #64-1895 is a two pack of 4.5 mm/ 3/16 inch magnets for about $2.99.
Just "glue" a new magnet on top of the old one. Use any good heat resistant epoxy glue, I like JB Weld. No worry about clearance, plenty of room in there. These are very strong magnets and easily trigger the pick ups.
Leo

Back