slight metal on metal noise after replacing the clutch cover

Moisstink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to say yes I am new to working on motorcycles and appreciate any and all info available. I have been working on the 1975 xs650 bored out to a 750. Here is my deal. I took off the clutch cover that was already on the bike. Once it was off I checked the gasket and internals and all looked good. I aligned the cover and re-bolted it down. I added a oil cooler to the side and did an oil change. The levels are good. What I am wondering is if I may have done something wrong in something so simple. Everything seemed to line up and I did not adjust the one knob that runs to the outside of the cover (I'm not sure what that is called or purpose - I am definitely a newb by trying). I started the bike and had a back fire that shot a little flame (I do not think that is part of the problem but something I will need to watch) but now I am noticing a slight grinding sound very light. I am imagining the clutch housing rubbing the inside of the cover for some reason. I have not even ridden the bike since. Thanks again for any and all info. The photo is just where the bike is at now. Oh yeah, the seat in the photo is photoshopped just an idea. I am not against cracking her back open but not sure where to look for metal shavings other than the oil filter.

Just ordered Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Hopefully I can start kicking some knowledge on here pretty soon.

Attachments

• new tank number.jpg
    new tank number.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Hey, Moisstink. Let's take a step back and get oriented.

Folks here call the:

- Right engine cover, which also has the oil pump, as "clutch cover".
- Left engine cover, which also has the clutch screw-type actuator, as "alternator cover".

Okay, which cover did you remove?
And, under which cover are you hearing the sound?

Sorry for any confusion with my ramblings. I removed the right engine cover/ clutch cover. I tried to pinpoint the sound but cannot. The noise is very light and I just really did not notice it until today. It could be nothing. I shortened the mufflers by 6 inches and since I did that I repacked the muffler (Is that a complete waist of time? I had heard that it helps with back pressure and noise reduction but I have also heard that it will blow out in a couple months.) Anyway, since the bike is running quieter now maybe that is why I noticed the odd kind of grinding sound. I guess my question is what is the knob on the top of the clutch cover and what does it do? Is there anything that needs to be done specific for re-installation of the right engine cover? Thanks again for the response TwoMany.

...Is that a complete waist of time?

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.:D

I don't think packing your mufflers is a waste of time.
Rather, it's part of the learning experience.
The sound is a personal preference, tempered by neighbors and legislation.
Tuning it to work is the challenge.

... odd kind of grinding sound.
Is there anything that needs to be done specific for re-installation of the right engine cover?

Stabs in the dark here.
- The kickstart gear's drag clip may have slipped out of the case notch during all the clutch cover manipulations. That would keep the kickstart gear from retracting fully from the tranny's 1st gear, letting the tooth edges 'buzz'.
- Pull the leftside shift lever out a bit, see if the shiftshaft moves, see if the sound changes. If so, the shifter could be contacting the backside of the clutch. Check its retainer circlip, located under the sprocket.

... what is the knob on the top of the clutch cover and what does it do?

Knob? All I can think of remotely close would be:
- Oil dipstick?
- Neutral detent bolt?
- Tachometer drive (more to the front)?

A picture would really help here...

2M I think maybe answer c or 3 is it. One with a block off, otherwise he would have undone the tach cable and known what is was or at least know what attached. With a block off it just kinda sits there.

Moisstink is the knob on the top front of the cover with a small retaining bolt on the front?

Here is the image of the bolt I am thinking of which is too tight at the top for adjustment but has movement inside the engine. When reattaching the clutch cover is there any key issues to lining up anything? I mean you cannot really tork it down too much so.... Maybe I just hearing the engine do its thing. Thanks for the responses.

Attachments

• engine 008.jpg
    engine 008.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 226
Back