Slightly used 1978 XS650 Special

Dastommy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. After mashing the refresh button on Craigslist for 2 years, I'm happy to say I'm the proud owner of an overpaid XS650. I probably spent $200 more than I should of but after looking for a decent one for 2 years and traveling 4 counties to get it, well I figured i'ld bite the bullet and get it. Ill post picks as soon as I figure out how.

-E1D8-4B8D-99C7-9EBEDD49F63C-5131-000009CE603C5901.jpg
-63DB-4A0B-A070-6BCC9F05C02D-5131-000009D0AC87B09B.jpg
-DB22-4521-8630-20CB3AE9E4EE-5131-000009CE649DC80F.jpg

I've started to give it a good look over and tried to pull it apart but have hit a few snags. So figure ill ask for some advice while I scroll through the 500 pages of threads on here. If anyone can help a brother out and link me to some answers, that would be awesome.

1: is there any videos or online guides to removing the carbs off a stock setup? My brain hurts after an hour trying to figure it out.

2: a free online manual that's not adobe? My computer is fried and apparently iPhones don't like adobe software.

3: where do baby's come from?

4: weak front forks, put in thicker oil or should I buy springs

5: is it normal that the front tire shakes like Michael J Fox when idling?

There are plenty more but that's what I need to get done on it so I can put it on the road. After overpaying on the bike my budget is pretty tight. I would like to get it on the road by may and then continue to dump money in it forever. Gonna keep it stock and maybe cafe it out over winter.

Thanks! If you need me ill be the guy constantly hitting the search bar.

Last edited:
Congrats on finally finding what you sought. Most of your questions are and will be answered numerous times in past threads so the search function is your friend (as you are already discovering). As for the shaking front wheel at idle, that's the XS signature dance, you'll learn to love it.

roy

1. Dunno about a video, but remove the air boxes, undo the fuel lines and throttle cable, loosen the carb boot clamps, pop the carbs out of the boots, THEN (and here's the secret...) remove the cover to the cam chain adjuster, and remove the right carb boot, then they'll slide out to the left as a unit.

2. Not that I'm aware of.

3. Back seats.

4. Probably both. Pull them apart, eyeball the spring for sag (there's probably a standard measurement available, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head) clean everything up, put in fresh oil to the recommended level.

5. Yes, and how insensitive of you. Funny as hell, but insensitive...:yikes: :D

Thanks downeaster. It's what I figured for the carb but didn't want to take the thing apart without some advice. Search "carb removal" and you get a 100 "remove the carbs then..." Posts. Ill try to tackle that this weekend then reading up on front forks. It makes a squishy sound when depressed and a little too loose I think. The rear struts are also shot so I'm guessing a big guy rode her too much.

One of you xs650 clubs should do a Harlem Shake video with the way the tire dances. Would be hilarious.

There may be no or little oil in the forks, after years of leaky seals it finally has all pumped out. The PO hosed the mess off with gasoline and put the bike on Craigslist........
The remove the cam adjuster nut trick works on some years but not so helpful on others.

You are going to need to print out and read the carb guide a few times before you dig in, Paying heed to this hint will more than make up for the extra 200 you spent.

You never pay too much for an old bike, you just a buy it a bit too early.

I've had a 81 sr250 Exciter (worst name ever) that I've been ridding/repairing for the last couple years so I have some experience pulling the carbs twice a year to clean but yeah I'm gonna study the hell out of the 650 till go blind.

This site is awesome thought. I'm making a bit to long list of repairs I need to do and find 3/4 of the answers in a minute. It's one of the reasons I decided on this bike. I picked up a virago (seriously "woman warrior" as bike name) also but still waiting on a title so putting all my effort into the xs. I'm starting to get incoherent which is any product of alcohol.

This site=awesome. Yamaha bike names=horrible

A (5mm?) long arm ball end Hex key is the answer to making carb removal simple. I pull both spigots every time.

The Eklind are nice but the cheap set I bought at Menards for like $8.00 works just fine too.

4YCP3_AS01.JPG

A tube of syl-glyde makes the re-install simple too.

You're in luck. I live in your area. Send me a P.M. We can fix everything you think is wrong with the bike and more things you don't even know about, lol. A few pressing items up front to get you going, then "ride and wrench" for the rest of the season. By fall, we should have the old girl in fine shape.

You're in luck. I live in your area. Send me a P.M. We can fix everything you think is wrong with the bike and more things you don't even know about, lol. A few pressing items up front to get you going, then "ride and wrench" for the rest of the season. By fall, we should have the old girl in fine shape.

taking 5twins up on his offer would be the best thing you could do for your bike. :thumbsup:

Felt really sick today (cough) and decided to take the day off and start wrenching on the XS. My backs been messed up for a whole so couldn't do much but clean the bike up a little bit. Started today by pulling the carbs and air box. Noticed gas was leaking into air filters so I decided to clean them up first. I washed them with dawn soap with less than desirable results...
null-4.jpg

I'm gonna try the homemade filter idea I saw in a thread on here. If that doesn't work ill buy new ones.

Next up I decided to change the oil. Trying to wrench loose the oil drain pugs was probably not the best idea for my back but it had to get done. The second plug was on there so tight I was pulling on wrench with both arms while pushing on the bike with my legs so it wouldn't fall on me. My roomates girlfriend found it amusing. The oil was pretty black but not much metal on the magnets on the plugs. Then took off the 6 bolts for the sump but it wouldn't come off. I didn't want to try to pry it without having a spare gasket. I did remove and replace the side cover filter and found a unwanted surprise....
null-2.jpg

How bad is it in a 1-10 scale?
Put everything back together and refilled with Castrol 4stroke 20W-50.

Went and picked up some fender washers to fix the loose handlebar issue although ran out of time tonight. I plan on swapping the stock bars for my triumph ones I use on my other bike. Ill finish that up tomorrow.

Picked up some fork oil and wanted to drain the old stuff and add a little. I plan on replacing the springs and seals but haven't ordered them yet. Seals don't seem to be leaking so I'm guessing its weak springs. Do have a question on that. Do I have to just unscrew the flat head bolt or the hex head for just refilling the fork oil?

Opened up the brake fluid reservaour and sucked out all the gunk and replaced it with fresh fluid. Surprisingly the brakes are the only good thing on it grrrrr.

Noticed the turn signals don't blink all the time. Mostly they just stay solid so ill be getting a replacement blinker modual two prong thingy.

Finally started to take the carbs about to clean them. Spent a half hour reading the carb guide and noticed my head wanted to explode. So for health reasons I decided to put it back together and call it a night.

Oh also 5twins gave me some good guidance over the phone and told me how to best approach this resurrection project. He knows XS's better than I know the back of my hand.

Best you got rid of the stock filter media it all does that now.

That side filter isn't that bad the bottom screen is torn you will need to patch or replace it. The black is edges of the cam chain guide, pretty normal amount, not an emergency, if you see more than a little aluminum it's an emergency.
You are going to want to overhaul the whole brake system, the gunk in the reservoir was the tip of the iceberg.

To remove a fork cap FIRST loosen the top triple clamp bolt. the triple clamp bolt squeezes the fork tube to the cap and makes it impossible to remove.
Blinkers not blinking usually is your first sign of low voltage (IE charging issues, or a crap battery, or just a low idle setting) Do not run your bike with a bad battery, it will kill the charging system. Check your brushes.

Keep posting!

the junk in that filter is common. the little black plastic chunks come from your front cam chain guide. a concern yes, but you probably have a season or so before it will need replacing unless you pop open that bottom sump plate and find some long strips waiting for you...

you think the front tire shaking is funny? Wiat till you get it back together and running , and put it on the center stand and rev it!!! It goes backwards!!

Drain plugs; sit on the floor hold the down tube and exhaust, kick the wrench or breaker bar. Use wood blocks from the floor up so the tool doesn't slip off the drain plug.

Didn't think about the weak battery when it comes to turn signals. It hasn't been started in 3 weeks and we've had a lot of below freezing nights through then. I'll charge the battery again and see if it makes a difference.

The drain plugs were so hard to remove because the crush washers were just that - crushed. They will be almost as hard to get out next time too if you didn't change the washers. You should have called, I have a whole stack of those things, lol.

yeah it wasn't a planed day off. Went to Bert's around noon and grabbed 2 crush washers, side cover filter and a set of cheap grips which somehow cost me $45 dollars. I'll give ya a call tomorrow when I get out of work if I got time to work on it.

$45, ouch. As you see, the filters are metal screen and can just be cleaned and re-used. Nice to have extras though. Mine are used ones off eBay. Yes, give a call, I'm itchin' to see that thing, lol.

"Oh also 5twins gave me some good guidance over the phone and told me how to best approach this resurrection project. He knows XS's better than I know the back of my hand. "

But does he know the XS better than you know the palm of your hand? No matter, if I lived close to 5t I'd have my bike in his garage as soon as I could get it over. 5t will be a great mentor. Ask the forum's advice about everything and then let 5twins be your final guide.

Is this enough reccomendation? ;^)

Tom

Back