slow week at work cause of rain, guess ill ride!

CDNTX650

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Yup, Decided i might as well take advantage of it. woke up at 8am, decided to check my timing and go over some fasteners. Not sure why, but retarding the timing sure seems to make a difference. I know XSjohn preached it on the 80+ with TCI. Mine was closer to the left "F" line, so i retarded it to the one on the right, sure seemed like it has alot nicer roll on, even the vibes dont seem as harsh...Anyways oil check, throw some tools, wire, marrettes, oil, and spare fuses in the little bag i bought and off i went.

Bike was really a pleasure, even on the 110 kmh 2 lane. Thinkin ill drop a tooth in the rear to 33 to save me a bit of revs. The Pamco with e advance is the best thing ever...and bs34s with jetting how its supposed to be is also fantabulous. The old highway i took at 90km/h was heaven. Quiet, and just resurfaced recently. I really envy you u.s.a guys and all your quiet secondary roads. We really dont have that here to often. But, even on the busier stuff, just remember to take er easy in the right lane and those who wanna pass ya will do so. Took a 50 minute ride to Regina Beach, which is a small resort town on the lake by the city im from, they have a great cafe that has been there and almost looks the same since the late 20's.

Our insurance flew through the roof this year (govt run), so the XS is now a daily for almost anything as my versys is just to much to plate when you have 3 bikes.

stopped and did some hard pack, but slightly damp gravel to short cut home. Snapped a pic on some abandoned rail lines.

yup, its got wear, swap meet sidecovers, and dirty from being ridden all over. But it runs so freakin well i just enjoy it way to much. Im sure everyone can relate to days like this!

Also, the new triumph bonneville shocks are such a cheap good upgrade. the extra 3/4 inch ride height makes cornering oh soooo fun.

TXA.jpg

Your bike is lookin real fine:thumbsup:

For sure, you want to drop down to a 33 on the rear. The 17/33 on my bike is about 3700/3800 rpm at 100 km/hr. My engine is very happy at that rpm............smooth and very little vibration. I seldom go above 100 km/hr...............that's the speed I enjoy so I can take in the scenery.

I agree, the Pamco E-advance is so much better than the old springs and fly-weights.

We sure have had a lot of crappy weather, but 2 days ago on sunday it was super nice here in Calgary. I took a short 60 km ride, and my bike was running perfect. Sunshine, mountains, and a smooth running XS650....................can life get any better than that!

Government run insurance...................yes, that is bad news. I think Manitoba has that as well. I'm thankful we have non government insurance here in Alberta. Rates are quite reasonable.

I'm thinking about going for a bike trip along the Icefield Parkway up to Jasper, in July or August. The scenery there is just fantastic.

Thanks rg. Whats it cost to plate your xs? My versys went up to 200 a month.

License plate costs around $45.00/year

Insurance (liability only) costs $77.00/year

$200/month is outrageous.................the government is using it as a cashcow!

With private insurance, companies compete for business, which keeps the price low. A government, being the sole provider, has no competition, so it charges whatever it likes.

Well, beacause of govt. Mismanagement, the autofund which is supposed to run at break even hasnt for years. Factor in, you could drive on a learners forever, and ride a 180hp bike with no training...and the worst distracted driving rates in the country....

Back