Small oil leak, advice needed!

stacks99

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and a new 75 xs650B owner, first bike so bear with me! Bike has a small oil leak which original owner did tell me about he thinks there is a small piece missing. I attached two photos of where the oil is leaking from, it is coming out of the small "nozzle" that is sticking out there between the cylinders, not a bad leak but just thought if there is only a small piece missing i can replace it. The end of that piece is open but i do not feel any threads that would indicate a bolt should be in there, maybe a rubber piece? I dont know. Any advice is appreciated, again i'm a new bike owner so thanks for your patience.

Attachments

• 2011-05-09_12-30-32_148.jpg
    2011-05-09_12-30-32_148.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 2011-05-09_12-30-42_578.jpg
    2011-05-09_12-30-42_578.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 140
Welcome to the forum!

From what it looks like, you are talking about the cam chain tensioner. Could be an O-ring, but others will chime in with more information on that specific year.

Here is a diagram of years and you can see the O-rings in rubber and cork.
TensionerID.jpg

I think the cover nut is broken. There should be a hex head on the top to tighten it with. Looks like yours broke off.

You can go to babbittsonline.com or other dealer sites and look at a parts fiche to see what should be there and perhaps order. In the meantime if just the hex head broke off, maybe you can tighten it with a pipe wrench :)

I have a 75. My PM, Previos Moron, had a cobbed up oil pressure sending unit/big nut for a cover. I replaced it with a set up from an 82 engine I got for parts.
If you remove the cover and look you will see an o-ring. If you take the o-ring to the parts store they might have an o-ring that size. It's 39x33x2.5 mm
Mike's XS has them for $2.20 Item #18-0868
At Mike's click engines, then gaskets and seals, scroll down and it shows the differences in the cam chain adjusters. The 75 B model used the type C adjuster. Or look in Alfredo's post, he's got the pics and descriptions.
Leo

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information, now that i know what it is I can start looking around for a new piece! So this is not anything serious then? oil leakage is quite minimal

^If it's leaking cause it's loose it's liable to get maximal at any time I would say :) The cap thing is full of oil. If leaking due to o-ring, maybe less bad. Easy to fix at any rate; just get a good cap and o-ring. Adjust the cam chain while you're at it.

Back