SO PISSED - Brand new coil from mikesxs broken!!!!!!!!!

Ok, just to let you know what happened last night.
MikesXS apologised for the delay in the first place and for the incorrect coil sent.

They stated that they are not sure why the wrong one was sent and that the Ultimate that I ordered has been express posted to me... so they have rectified it...

In regards to the site - yes, it says do not pull on the terminals... on the cheapo coil.
NOTE!!!! It only appears when I look via my iPhone and not on the full website on my PC - strange but true.

Here is a pic see the middle where it states *** Pulling etc etc.
Doesnt really matter as this isnt the coil I ordered in the first place. It was obviously a screw up thats being corrected by MikesXS for me... so I am happy about that... but spewing cause its a long weekend in Sydney and I wont be able to get it all running, etc but shit happens ay.

null-6.png

Bah, I have one of the crappy 6803's on the way to me right now. I wonder if there's any way to build up some sort of hardened epoxy or something around the base of the terminals to help prevent snapping off. Since there's no warranty I might as well try it and if/when it craps out replace it with one of the better ones.

Ill add a question here actually.
Looking at wiring diagrams, I am wondering. Does the dual output coil (the proper one - Ultimate) need to be GROUNDED?
I see that wiring the PAMCO and E-Advancer diagrams, etc and text - PAMCO earth goes to the e-advancer earth... then from e-advancer to frame earth. The red and green go to terminals on coil... etc.
I dont see anywhere that shows the COIL being EARTHED... reason I ask is that my coils are mounted in a spot that is NOT earthed... so if they need to be I will run an earth wire for the coil... if it DOESNT need to be earthed then thats great.

Cheers,
Peter

I have one of those crappy coils.....wrks fine. Ive had the wires on/off quite a few times, no sweat. I bought it back in 09.
But now I wonder.
Great, now everybody is wiggling their terminals.

Peter, you never run a primary terminal to ground. The ignition, points or electronic, operates by opening and closing the primary coil circuit. When the primary circuit opens the current seeks ground through secondary coils to the spark plugs.

Thanks Grizld1 - my experience made me think that too however in my reading (way too many places) I noticed a few references to earthing the coil if its a high output dual etc... ill try to find where I read it... therefore got myself wondering.

Thanks again!

Peter

I think pristic is referring to having to ground (earth) the frame of the coil, typically the laminated core sticking out of both ends.
I don't think it's required but refer to the instructions that come with your coil. Grounding the frame might reduce any RF interference your bike produces. I know none of you guys would want to mess with the stereo in the Porsche in the next lane.
Accel's instructions do not require you to ground the coil frame.

They also mention gapping your plug to at least .035"

For optimum performance be sure to open spark plug gap to a
minimum of .035”

If you go Accel do NOT use a 140404 coil, that model has a .7 ohm primary resistance which is not compatible with the ignitions normally found on an XS650.

Ill add a question here actually.
Looking at wiring diagrams, I am wondering. Does the dual output coil (the proper one - Ultimate) need to be GROUNDED?
I see that wiring the PAMCO and E-Advancer diagrams, etc and text - PAMCO earth goes to the e-advancer earth... then from e-advancer to frame earth. The red and green go to terminals on coil... etc.
I dont see anywhere that shows the COIL being EARTHED... reason I ask is that my coils are mounted in a spot that is NOT earthed... so if they need to be I will run an earth wire for the coil... if it DOESNT need to be earthed then thats great.

Cheers,
Peter

The coil does not need to be earthed for electrical purposes, but it does have to be mounted firmly to the frame using the bolt holes on the ends of the center core to dissipate heat.....sorry...:doh:

Peter, you never run a primary terminal to ground. The ignition, points or electronic, operates by opening and closing the primary coil circuit. When the primary circuit opens the current seeks ground through secondary coils to the spark plugs.

This is not the case for dual output coils. The current path for the secondary is from one of the coil wires, through the spark plug gap to the engine, over to the other spark plug and back to the coil. The fact that the current goes through the engine ground is incidental.

When the primary is opened by points the condenser forms a tuned circuit with the coil and momentarily oscillates to produce a high voltage in the secondary. There is no connection between the primary and secondary in a dual output coil.

When the primary is opened by a transistor in an electronic ignition, the primary voltage rises very rapidly to a relatively high voltage (400+ Volts) before it is clamped by the circuitry to augment the transfer of energy to the secondary. There is no connection between the primary and secondary of a dual output coil. The secondary winding is floating.

Just got pointed to this thread from another thread where I am asking for advice on what setup to buy from pamco. Hopefully this all gets fixed before I order my setup (not sure on what set up to get at this point but I given the snapping mounts I may not be)

Just got pointed to this thread from another thread where I am asking for advice on what setup to buy from pamco. Hopefully this all gets fixed before I order my setup (not sure on what set up to get at this point but I given the snapping mounts I may not be)

Hi,

Well I might aswell update!
The new correct coil arrived. The snapping terminals looks like a known issue with the other coil (but I never ordered that one - it was simply a packing/shipping stuff up and has been corrected completely)
MikesXS sent the new Ultimate coil to me express, and it arrived fast - so I appreciated it.

I have the PAMCO and e-advancer installed already, all wired up and just needed the coil.
I mounted the coil under the seat (the cross member in the hardtail) which made the plug leads run really nicely and neatly! I used the spacers to mount the coil (pics coming) and it all went very very well.

I then had to start her up, first time where I had the PAMCO it wouldnt fire, so I turned the plate counter-clockwise and she fired up! I havnt had time to time her properly - did it by sight, sound, etc... but took her for a nice ride around the block.
I found that:

POSITIVE:
1. Starts much easier
2. Pulls slightly harder (seat of the pants)
3. Wants to keep pulling further through each gear... like it could rev harder and keep pulling which is great
4. idles much smoother
5. So far no kick-back at all... ie/ when kicking over the bike it doesnt want to break my ankle! !!!

NEGATIVE (nitpicking):
1. When I turn the key on (or off) its random... I get a tiny little static shock on my finger (TINY TINY) but that wasnt there before.
2. On deceleration I get gurgling/popping (no backfire at all) through the exhaust... wasnt there before.

The popping/gurgling on decel may be timing... will see. The static shock 'could' be the weather but I dont think it is... and its never happened before. Doesnt worry me unless I dont know something that I should.

Overall - FANTASTIC, easy install, great product. Love not having points and flyweights for the advance! Woohoo!

pristic,

That's great, but get her timed as soon as possible. Also, you said the coil is mounted under the seat. OK, but keep the advancer away from the coil.

Hey Pete,

Yep will do mate.
Any ideas on the static at the ignition key? Its wired up right so doesnt kick over with the on/off/on/off like some people have had... reckon its just coincedence or?
Also on the popping/backfiring - that could simply be timing right?

Also, just so you know I am using the standard plugs (not the iridiums) as I havnt picked up the plugs yet. Not sure if that matters... or what effect it has. (They are BP6ES though, not BP7's as thats what my bike needed prior to the PAMCO...

Hoping to get it timed properly this weekend.
Cheers,
Peter

Timing the pamco could NOT be easier. You could do it while waiting at a long light if you had a phillips head screw driver and a timing light.

Seriously, you could.

I run bp6es's too.

Gurgling from the exhaust.?? Thats and STD. You should talk to your bike. Good luck.

Static shock.....Id think it would have to be a ground issue. Shocking you when "you" ground the circuit....? You are completing the circuit. Try it bare footed and see if its worse than with rubber soles.....

I've been known to be wrong......5twins this is where you step in and link ALL of my previous threads........... A what not to do tutorial.

Seriously though.....dont let anyone else ride your bike until you get that STD looked at.

Back