So what's the trick to keep the license plate from cracking?

ThrottleJock

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I had an old KTM 620 single that did the same thing as my XS is doing now that I've gone with a shorty aftermarket license tag bracket. It's vibrating the plate so bad it's breaking around the mounts. I tried rubber o-rings, loose zip ties, and a solid metal-to-metal mount on the KTM to no avail, I ended up with half a plate.

The first cracks are appearing on the XS plate. Need to fix this before it too is a goner. Suggestions? I"m thinking maybe an aluminum plate backing to (hopefully) eliminate any flex in the plate. Or something

I make an aluminum plate a bit larger than the license plate and mount with rubber washers and four screws not two. TonyC

I use an aluminum backing plate with a sheet of rubber in between and 4 bolt it .....

PlateMount.jpg

- dont know what you blokes are getting all wound up about - our plates are. at 200 x 250, 3mm alu backing plate and construction glue

14 years, 3 motorcycles, aluminum backing, aluminum backing with cardboard, aluminum backing with plastic....nothing worked...except this:

JC Whitney #CCQ015773 @ $8.49

licenseframe.jpg

Rubber coated washers on the plate and plain rubber dampers under the plate from Home Depot worked for me.

I just have my plate mounted to the stock bracket on my 78SE and see no sign of cracking. Your bikes must vibrate a lot more than mine:shrug:

Keep your carbs tuned and sychronize the carbs with a manometer will go a long way to minimize vibration.

i bought a couple of pieces of 1 inch by 1/8 flat stock, cut two pieces to connect the top/bottom holes, and bolted it up. Adding the weight changes the vibration,and supports the plate better.

RG I'e experienced the same. No problems with the old standards.The '83s both have steel, oversized washers and rubber from an innner tube.

If it makes you feel any better. I saw a '08 boulevard with the same problem last night.

Road signs are often made from sheets of aluminimum. Cut a piece the size of your plate. Bolt on with four bolts. Don't need rubber washers. The plates are thin, as the bike vibrate, with just two bolts the plate flops around. The stiffer backing plate stops the flopping, no more cracks.
If you don't want to "aquire" a road sign. Next time you spot a washer, dryer or other appliance by the side of the road with a free sign on it. Collect it. Lots of sheet steel in one. Make lots of doodads.

LOL!!! So I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem with his XS650! My solution was to buy a fiberglass body repair kit, mix the resin, apply liberally to the back of my licence plate, put on a layer of glass fabric, brush it down with more resin, working out all the bubbles REALLY well, so all the resin and glass is adhered to the back of the plate. Apply a second layer of glass cloth and more resin, again brushing it out well. Let harden well, and trim off the excess. Drill out the mounting holes again. The glass changes the resonant frequency of the licence plate and also dampens the vibrations. It has worked well for me at stopping the cracking. It is also very unobtrusive.

Back