So what's the trick to keep the license plate from cracking?

I used Petes method. Cheap, easy and fast. Make sure you get a metal one. Some cheap ones can be chromed plastic like the one I have on my car tag. Another bike has the full aluminum plate behind it made of thicker metal. That works too.

lunatic---any details on how you did the axle/sidemount ....thought about this idea but didnt know how to do it

I don't have any pics at the moment, but basically we just grabbed some heavy plate scrap from a welding shop next door and cut and welded together a bracket. Drilled a couple of holes for the plate bolts, light bolts, and the axle and then bolted it all up after giving it a quick rattle can paint job. I'll try and find some pics or take a couple of the set up so you can see it. It's pretty simple to do.

I should pay more attention to this Forum - I had this problem again when I got a new frame for a riding club I just joined (Damascus Wheelers, Rochester, NY). It cracked immediately - I had to go back to using my previous soltution - a good quality metal frame - heavy - behind the light weight plated plastic Club frame.

I learned this is a problem about 5 years ago when my first plate came up missing and all I had were corners left under the bolts. I really need to do an aviation style preflight walkaround before I ride it out of my garage in the morning!

Back