Some info on coils?

webbrs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have stupidly left my spark plug wire off after checking the plugs, twice. ironically both sides once. :doh:
I only turned it over a couple of times before I realized it but I believe it is a high output coil like MikesXS pt#17-6803, as it has the two leads to the plugs facing the front of the motorcycle. Now I am having real bad acceleration problems. I have jetting issues but this is getting progressively worse and I am thinking bad jetting doesn't change it just stays the same bad?
So, I have a dyna coil 3.0 ohm dual fire on my HD I am not using. Will this coil work on these motorcycles? I noticed that one on MikesXS that is 3.3 and is similar to mine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyna-3-Ohm-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e67e2df4&vxp=mtr

Some tech on this would be great if I can get it to run, hobble to work tonight and work on it or my other car this weekend.
thanks

If you have points, a 3 ohm coil would burn them up pretty quickly. If you have an electronic ignition, the 3 ohm coil should be fine. I run a 2.8 ohm Andrews Harley coil with my Pamco and it works fine, has for several years now.

thank you 5 for the quick reply. Yes its TCI and stock as far as I can tell. Will the 8mm silicone parts store wires with an Autolite #63 be ok or can I put terminals on the wires that I have on the XS. Im limited on avail of plugs but I think I can get the 63's. I just don't know what I can scrounge together yet.
Thanks again

I think my signature should be :
'87 Jeep Wrangler
'83 HD FXSB
'81 XS 650 SH
'02 Ford Focus
I have a garage full of crap that don't run and a 2013 2LT/RS Convert I don't dare drive

lol

8mm wires are usually a bit too large, won't fit in the plug caps, sometimes not in the coil either. 7mm is the usual choice. If the wires you have now are the originals, I recommend new ones. Some like the Autolite 63's, I've always stuck with the original NGK BP7ES. Most auto parts stores carry the NGKs now.

Make sure you get regular non-resistor wire core wires. I use VW Beetle wires. The kits I get come with the crimp on the wire ends already so they plug right into coils like your Accel .....

EMPIPlugWire.jpg

Does the screw off connector matter whether it is on off? I haven't mastered spark plug anatomy but the XS has a threaded tip but I am not sure I am going to find wires like that here.

You have to match the spark plug top to the type of cap you're using. Spark plugs generally come one of two ways, with that threaded stud or a round "nut". In the case of the NGKs, they have the "nut" installed on the threaded stud. It can be removed so they will work with either type of cap. The NGK caps are sold in two types, to fit the threaded stud or the "nut". They don't work on both, no cap does.

NGKLB05.jpg

Most bikes use the threaded stud type plug and cap. Most cars use the "nut" type parts. Those Autolite plugs may be the "nut" type and it may be permanent (not removable). Many car specific plugs are like that. The terminal "nut" is cast right on the plug top and doesn't come off.

I tested the coils after work and found the one on the motorcycle is stock. (non removable leads and soldered primaries to the plug routed through the plastic stay) Primaries are 2.7-.2 probe reading or 2.5 but the secondary is 28.0 on the 200k scale from two different meters. On both meters the dyna is 3.1 and 14.1 the stock coil should be 11? Not sure if 28 is good or bad.

On the stock coil the 11k ohms is about right if you test from lead to lead, no caps. Each cap maybe 5k. So the 11k + the 10 k for the caps is 21k The 28k is not to far off.
You should also check from the primary leads to the body of the coil, as well as the plug leads to the body of the coil.
Any reading not infinity means a short to ground.
A check from the primary side to the secondary side should be infinity too. Any reading here means a short from primary to secondary.
As old as the stock coil is it is probably gotten weak over the years. Your Dyna coil will have around 20K volt output, much better than the stock 12K or so when new and probably much lower now.
The Dyna will start the bike better, run better and maybe make just a bit more power.
Leo

If your caps are originals, they had a rather odd rating of about 9K ohms. So, 9K+9K+11K=29K, in which case your 28K reading is very close.

Thank you Sirs. Testing not the plastic body but the mount or core, correct? Primary to secondary and to core tested on both the 200 and the 200k settings and I get no reading from either coil on both meters. the display shows (1 . ). is that right?
I am still going to use the Dyna with resistor plugs and off the shelf wires unless the one motorcycle shop here carries the caps. I saw Petes rundown on the 5/8 hex resistor plugs or if I can find the #63's until I get the wires built. If I am reading him right he says the 63's are resistor plugs? I have four new bp7es plugs to go through the chops with, on hand. If I have to order leads, and using mikexs as an example, will I need the yellow or the black wires they sell? I couldn't locate the EMPI ones you posted about earlier, 5t. I viewed the pic of how you fan the cap side of the wire but I read that I need to solder the terminal end? Don't have a pic of that do you?
Good thing I am not trying to make a living as a tuner. I have read so much my head hurts and none of it makes sense but that is for a different discussion. lol

The AP63 plugs I use are not resistor. Most resistor plugs have an R in the number somewhere. The AP plugs have platinum tip on the center electrodes. they wear less and concentrate the spark energy to a smaller tip. This leads to a slightly better spark.
Leo

Thank you that helps. Back to petes list then. Let me ask first. I see someone is running this dyna coil without resistor plugs or caps. Do I not need the resistor stuff or should I use resistors? I cant seem to find the post where Pete lays out the 5/8 plugs again.

Oh, I bought 6 pairs of the AP63 plugs on ebay, $25.98. The deal was 3 two packs for $12.99. I figured I might as well get two deals.
That's $2.165 per plug, or $4.33 per pair.
Leo

No but that was informative. Thank you. I may just be a brick but I didn't gather that I could use non resistor with my coil. I found autolite 5503's that autozone listed as a alternative to the bcpr7es 5/8" hex, and bpr7es's are order plugs that will have to drive 50 miles or wait till Tuesday to get. The 5503 look like the porcelain is a smaller diameter and maybe a colder plug as the body is not as thick after the threads. it is a protruding nose 14mm resistor plug. too bad as the bpr7es would be so easy.

Why go to the 5/8 hex plugs. The only time you use them is with Pamcopete's early Gerber baby food cover/Mallory ignition. This ignition required you to eliminate the indentation on the bottom of the housings to accommodate the Mallory part.
Leo

Back