some wiring diagrams

Leejin - just a suggestion, but for your headlight have you considered running an On/Off/On type switch instead of two separate switches for on/off and high/low? I have an on/off/on and I have it so left is low beam, center is off, right is high beam. Wired an LED indicator to the high beam side as well. Might save you some wiring and mounting headache.

Also, from everything you have described about your switch... it just sounds like a bad/faulty switch. Your wiring looks OK as far as I can tell but I am not running an electric start to compare. Try a new switch, you'll probably have better luck.

Can anyone tell me if this is an accurate wiring diagram. I drew this exactly how I have my PAMCO on my 82 wired. Its kick only, no PMA. I didn't give it a kick because I need new plugs and battery. Just looking for some help

Black wire is connected to bottom coil terminal, not the top one.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2013-08-01_17-22-21_206.jpg
    2013-08-01_17-22-21_206.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 179
I don't have an e-advance on my Pamco so I can't comment but are you planning on running fuses anywhere? I am assuming yes, they just aren't drawn - but can't be sure. I would say a 20A between battery and toggle switch, and 10A between toggle and coil.

Retro, I hadn't thought about it but I'm glad you brought it up. I will definitely be installing those fuses. Better to replace a 50 cent fuse than a 70 dollar coil. Do I need a connection from the battery to the Pamco? Also what gauge wire should each fuse have?

humerless, on a solenoid, not selenoid. you have two large terminals, One you hook to the battery positive with a large cable, the other you use a large cable to the starter. This will leave you with two smaller terminals, on the stock starter relay, What Yamaha calls a solenoid, has two wires, one red/white the other blue/white. The red/white supplies power, the blue /white supplies ground by running to the start button where the button grounds.
On yours one get power the other ground. It don't matter much. The starter switch can control the ground like stock or control the power. Either way works just fine.
hks650, if you look at fchad24's diagram that's how you hook power to any Pamco, E-advancer or not. Power from the bike goes to both the coil and Pamco. I suggest you hook both together then run a wire to power. A 7.5 amp fuse and an engine stop switch handy to your right thumb is a good idea.
fchad24, that diagram is good. The red wire to the handle bar switches are to power everything else right? Like head/tail light, brake light, and such right?
Leo

xsleo, i think i'll use a 3 way connector for that part. i'm still using the stock on/off switch that came with the bike. im going to try this and report back. thanks leo.

Retro, I hadn't thought about it but I'm glad you brought it up. I will definitely be installing those fuses. Better to replace a 50 cent fuse than a 70 dollar coil. Do I need a connection from the battery to the Pamco? Also what gauge wire should each fuse have?

Nope, don't need one directly from the battery to Pamco. I don't have the E-advance like I said, but this is the way mine is wired:

Since you aren't running one main fuse block, just picture an inline fuse between the key switch and kill switch. I ran I believe a 12 gauge or 14 gauge wire from the battery to my switch, and then 16 gauge for everything else because it's what I had hanging around.

Last edited:
Retro, the motor I have is in a four wheeler frame so lights and horn are not needed. The wires are the exact same on your bike and everything, but there's no blueprint for this kind of swap and that's why every diagram I look at tends to be confusing. I'm gonna take your diagram and run with it though. If I knew anything about wiring it might help. I'm very new at it but I think I'm just a couple connections away.

Last edited:
I have found that as long as you remember that the term circuit comes from the same root word as circle. By this I mean every circuit has to have a power source, then a control device, the load, and a ground back to the power source.
Most forget the grounds. That's a subtle hint retro. Your horn circuit has no ground.
I really like how people are using actual pics of the parts when you make a wiring diagram. This impresses me. I'm not much more than a computer illiterate my self.
Leo

That's a subtle hint retro. Your horn circuit has no ground.
Leo

I know - I threw that in there after the fact and forgot to put it in the diagram. Should probably fix that so people don't try and use it and start scratching their heads.

Edit: There we go - edited and added ground :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your input. I'm so sorry that I spelled solenoid incorrectly.

20 x lines ...':D:wink2:
I must spell check my messages
I must spell che.........

just kiddin . good luck with your wiring paula:thumbsup:

Ok so I'm doing the simplified chopper diagram.. where does this blue wire go? cap it like the yellow.. 1980g model..

Attachments

• wire color.jpg
    wire color.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 140
I know - I threw that in there after the fact and forgot to put it in the diagram. Should probably fix that so people don't try and use it and start scratching their heads.

Edit: There we go - edited and added ground :)

if you use a momentary switch that makes contact with the ground as many of the handlebar controls do then it is your ground...otherwise, you've got 3 wires coming off of the horn...it only has two prongs. Run positive to the horn and negative from the horn to the switch as your ground.

Hey guys, I've done a lot of studying and talking with XSLeo (THANK YOU). I still have some confusion though. All of these wiring diagrams I am reading over do not show the inclusion of the safety relay. Everyone says use the relay but I'm having some issues figuring out how to wire it. Looking at the starter side of the relay I have two red white wires and a yellow wire. The yellow wire I know to take it to the alt. I'm guessing, take one red/white wire to the fuse block for power, and the other red/white to the solenoid. Here is my issue. I am using a LowBro ignition switch that has a stating function by sending voltage. I realize that the solenoid requires power from one side and ground from the other, but by using the safety relay, how in the world do I inude the ignition switch? I can just get a grounding style button if I need to but we all know simplification is key. My other question is on the lighting side of the safety relay. Do I take the red/yellow wire straight to the headlight wire with an inline fuse? I'm thinking that this wire carries 12v when the bike is running. The stock setup using inline fuses vs me using an output style fuse block is confusing the crap out of me.

Thanks guys.

The danger of talking about joining coloured wires is having no idea where a particular wires comes from or where it goes to and connecting it to something without understanding the consequences.
You should never assume but test with a multimeter first in case some one else has modified the wiring or connected it incorrectly.

You should never talk about the colour of a wire without understanding the component that requires power and the function that you are looking to achieve. The colour of a wire is irrelevant ,the important thing is what it is connected to and what it achieves .

Red/white wires feed all sorts of components on an XS650 including solenoid , coils, kill switch,flasher, signal cancelling unit etc etc etc you get the picture ? you can't just grab a red/white wire and connect it to something.

What you need to do is look at the wiring schematic for your year and identify which wires supply your safety relay and how it works.

The yellow wire from your alternator should be connected to your safety relay. Its job is to power the coil of the safety relay . When you turn the engine over a small voltage is sent from the alternator to the safety relay coil which is constantly grounded . Whilst the engine is turning over the coil is energised and a switch within the relay dissconnects the live feed to your starter motor circuit preventing you inadvertently using the electric starter whilst the engine is turning over.

Depending on the age of your bike there are other safety features also effecting the power supply wire to your starter motor like the clutch lever switch and your sidestand switch . Most folk wish to disconnect these because its like the idiot bell in your car that tells you you haven't buckled your seat belt.

If you think its unlikely you are going to press the starter motor button whilst the bike is in gear with the clutch out or the engine is already running then you could dispense with the safety relay altogether.

Hey guys, I've done a lot of studying and talking with XSLeo (THANK YOU). I still have some confusion though. All of these wiring diagrams I am reading over do not show the inclusion of the safety relay. Everyone says use the relay but I'm having some issues figuring out how to wire it. Looking at the starter side of the relay I have two red white wires and a yellow wire. The yellow wire I know to take it to the alt. I'm guessing, take one red/white wire to the fuse block for power, and the other red/white to the solenoid. Here is my issue. I am using a LowBro ignition switch that has a stating function by sending voltage. I realize that the solenoid requires power from one side and ground from the other, but by using the safety relay, how in the world do I inude the ignition switch? I can just get a grounding style button if I need to but we all know simplification is key. My other question is on the lighting side of the safety relay. Do I take the red/yellow wire straight to the headlight wire with an inline fuse? I'm thinking that this wire carries 12v when the bike is running. The stock setup using inline fuses vs me using an output style fuse block is confusing the crap out of me.

Thanks guys.

let us have a picture or link to the wiring schematic you have used to wire the bike and we can advise how you can connect your ignition/starter switch and solenoid etc with or without a safety relay

Last edited:
Back