Someone tell me I'm not crazy...

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Even if its a lie. Anyway, so I finally got my bike running and it's been about 70 miles. It seems like every day its something else. First was the carbs fell off as soon as i got home and it took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong With it. Then it was leaking oil a little. Then I started worrying if it was running rich. But then a few days passed and no more problems. Til today, I left it in the parking lot for maybe 30 minutes and I didnt watch it that well. Then I go to Leave and about a mile down the road it dies. I'm thinking plugs or something. (I don't really know what I'm doing. First bike) turns out it was gas. I reset my trip when I filled my tank last and it was at about 65. It's not leaking gas. Is there any way possible that my bike only ran 65 miles on one tank? Or did someone steal my gas like I'm thinking? I wouldn't doubt it out here. Tons of shady people. Any suggestions to keep this from happening again? Besides watching it closer? I already plan on doing that. I think I'm going to park it and try to catch someone...

Posted via Mobile

Not unless your tank is smaller than your bladder.

Rig up a motion activated flame thrower with only a very close proximity that can be activated and deactivated with a remote.

Not unless your tank is smaller than your bladder.

Rig up a motion activated flame thrower with only a very close proximity that can be activated and deactivated with a remote.

Nope. Nothing is that small. Stock tank...

Posted via Mobile

check for gas in your oil, I had a leaky petcock and float needle that once drained most of the tank into the crankcase.

I had a needle and seat acting up that leaked gas all over my driveway, but that is a pretty easy thing to notice.

Have you checked your oil level? You're sure it was full and the speedo is clocking correctly? 65 mpt(ank) is seriously wrong somehow.
There wasn't a riding lawn mower parked next to you?

Last edited:
I check my oil before i leave my house every day. And I only ride around town. I know it's 2 miles to school and to the east side is about 7. It says what my car trip says. Looks like I'm going to be hiding in the bushes tomorrow. Who walks around looking for bikes to take gas from? Who would think about that? It's not like they could sell it. And for some reason I believe that whoever would take gas wouldn't have a car anyway. I hate people...

Posted via Mobile

check for gas in your oil, I had a leaky petcock and float needle that once drained most of the tank into the crankcase.

My petcock was changed I think. There's no off. It comes out no matter what it's turned to. How can i tell if there's gas in my oil? Without draining the oil? What would happen to the oil or the gas?

Posted via Mobile

You have a vacuum petcock.

Is there any reason you don't want to change the oil? If its a new bike (new to you atleast) then you would want to change it anyway. The easiest way to check is a smell check. Drain. Sniff. But you have to keep in mind that you can't use the smell check twice. It can take a while, even after the problem is fixed, to get rid of the smell. After that its best to use volume.

The gas is going to break down the oil. Its not going to be as effective for as long.

I actually just changed it. Right before I started riding it. So about 70 miles. It doesnt seem like the oil is getting higher. It looks like it's the same Color too. Does that happen slowly over time Or all at once? I checked it every couple days (it's only been about a week since i started riding it again) And it seemed like it was slowly getting
Lower when I rode and It it didn't seem to disappear until today. And it disappeared all at once. It should be no more than half empty at 65 miles right?

Posted via Mobile

If you are asking mileage it varies, greatly. Some are getting close to 55 mpg, some get
30 mpg. It depends on what carbs, how well they are tuned and riding style.
I get 47 and 32 on two different bikes.

Back