Somethings WRONG!

Hi, As XSLeo says. Check the carb guide out. If you having a stumble at WOT it sounds like you'll need to adjust your jetting. I've just gone through the same thing and managed To dial it out successfully. Not too tricky with the carb guide

But why does it continue to sputter even after i get out of the throttle? It just did it to me again, i put it on choke and it died out. Took it off of choke and kicked it again. Ran fine.... Im lost here.

Sometimes it can be a totally different area that causes this. I had similar issues with a bike. Ends up being electrical. Charging system was over cgarging 16+ volts and climbing. Made the points system unstable. Try cahrginbg your battery real good and run it a little while without your alternator system connected. See if it changes.

One of my carb guys told me to try putting it on choke, not sure why. Can anyone comfirm that my fuel lines are ran correctly, and that the nipples are on the right barb since im running manual petcocks?

Your fuel lines look like their run fine to me, and yes you need to have the vacuum ports on the intakes plugged. Did you check your float level? Maybe your running out of fuel.

Havent checked anything on the carbs yet, i will as soon as i get back home. But my battery is pulling 13V running which is what i would think is perfect. How would I go about unhooking the charging system?

On the bubble in the filter as long as you get good flow with it unhooked from the carb and running into a can.
Some filters are designed to be used with a fuel pump. These filters have a very fine filter media. Too fine for a gravity feed system.
Have you tried running it with out a filter? If it runs fine without the filter this will be the problem. Try a different filter.
Once you rev it up the fuel in the float bowls runs low, thus the sputtering. Even after you let off it will still sputter until the float bowls refill enough to run.
Pulling the "choke", it's not a choke but an enrichener, pulls the very last of the fuel out of the bowl which richens the mixture enough to run.
On the battery voltage the 13 volts is ok at idle but should put out 14-14.5 at above 2000 rpms. Any less and it may not keep the battery charged.
Leo

The bubble in the filter problem has been fixed, should I double check my floats and go down a size on my main"from 135 to 132.5" after I check my voltage over 2000rpm?

Sounds like the float bowls are draining fast when you really open the throttle and not returning proper. Make sure the floats are set correct and that the float valves are not hanging up. That would make it continue to run bad once they get out of adjustment. You would shut the bike off and the floats would refill makes sence to me.

Casey, when mods are made the ability to create the optimum vacuum conditions in the engine is affected and may contribute to or be the source of the symptoms.

Anlaf

Hi Casey, if it is continuing to happen after WOT, then I would check your float levels are correct and they are not sticking - the tang and the little brackets can be bent very easily and cause them to stick

Yes it continues to sputter even after I get out of the throttle.

ANLAF- if your talking about the crank case breathers, theres nothing on them. I didnt think i needed anything in them.

One question about my 77 carbs. Just want to make sure my gas lines are ran perfect. Im running a single manual petcock, with a T leading to both carbs, with the single lines connecting the 2 carbs in the middle. And notice the small blue nipple on the carb boot, I had to cap that off since im not running vac petcocks anymore right?

Yes, the barbs on the intake need to be blocked off. yours look secure, but when I first did mine, I used tubing caps that expanded when they got hot which leaned the mix quite a bit. It wouldn't make any difference to your symptoms, but I think the fuel filter is backward. The dorman brake valve Anlaf mentioned is a good idea. There is a good thread about how and why around here somewhere.

Haha nah man the fuel filter is in the right direction. But I down my mains from a 135 to a 132.5 and then ran the piss out of it and all seems fine! Thanks for all the help guys!

Back