spark plug info needed

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
Nathan here. Im gona be getting my 82 XS650 HS this weekend from Dunkirk newyork. From my brother.
and I wanted to know if anybody know what spark plug NGK number it took.
Whats the best oil?
Does anybody have an 82 XS650 heritage special? Was wondering how it does on long trips and how reliable it is. has 11,000 miles now on it.
Where can i get airfilters? I have 2 new chrome pod filters. Would it hurt to use them. do i rejet for pod filters?
Hope someone can help
Thaks
Nathan Lovern,Va

yes. remove and clean both oil filters when you change the oil. check the tech section for most of your needs, lots of top info there. welcome to the site, pics are always welcome when you get the mighty xs in your greedy mits.

Stock plug for your bike is the NGK BP7ES, available at most auto parts stores for less than at a cycle shop. Just about any 20W-50 oil will do. The key is to change it often, like every 1000 miles, because the filtering system is so poor.

nlovern;

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

Follow Yamaman's advice and review the "Tech" section at the top of page. Also use the "Search" function to find info of interest.

Read the "Carb guide" in "Tech"

A large problem with old bikes is the electrical connections have oxidized over the years. This increases resistance and causes voltage drops..................result, bike runs like crap or fails to run at all:yikes: The original fuse holders ( 4 position glass fuse type) are worn out and should be replaced with new automotive blade type fuse holders.

If you want reliability, spend some time disconnecting every electrical connector and cleaning the contacts for a low resistance connection. Also good to put dielectric grease around the connections.

Long distance................I just made a 2030 km trip in July, with the only problem being a screw loosened and fell out inside the headlight bucket. Otherwise the bike performed great and got 56 mpg ( your carbs must be tuned to get that fuel milage)

Quite simply I would never use NGK plugs if I didn't have to. Champion plugs are the only plugs both of my Yammi's will accept. I get a full year from a set. NGK plugs I need to buy 3 sets a season and the continually foul on me. Especially if I use the BP7RES which has a radio interference filter built in.

Quite simply, I would never use Champions except in my lawn mower or a Harley. A buddy of mine used to work at a Honda dealer years ago. The new Hondas came with Champions back then. He said they wouldn't even put them out on the showroom floor until they changed the plugs to NGKs. I ride old BMWs. I have since they were new in the '70s. I used the original Bosch plugs for many years but finally tried some NGKs. The bikes ran better.

Back