Spark test

Edgewood RI

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Is it bad for the ignition to pull off a spark plug lead while at idle. 1983 Yr. I was testing a rough idle situation and noticed when i removed the plug lead on the right, no change. swapped wires over and runs fine, strange. might be a funky cable, seem a bit stiff. Bat is good and charger putting out 14.5 at 2K RPM.

John

On the 83 as all with a TCI use a dual output coil. It sparks both plug at the same time. Unhooking one plug is not reccomended, With one plug unhooked the coil output can't flow right and can find it's own route to complete the circuit. Usually shorting the windings to the center steel part to ground.
This may take awhile with the stock coil but can happen very fast on a high output coil.
A bad plug wire or the cap can act like this. Mike's #23-3113 5K caps are what you want. You coil if stock has the wires made as part of the coil and can't be changed. If the wire go bad you need a new coil. I would reccomend Mike's #17-6903 coil, his #23-2906 wires. This coil is much higher output than stock but it will improve starting and overall running.
Leo

Back