Special II - exhaust system compatibility

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

The "Shorty" mufflers (one-piece exhaust system) that came with my 1979 XS 650 Special II are very loud, too loud for me. I put in some stainless steel wool but this helped very little. Also, they don't allow me to put a center stand on the bike.

I am looking for a complete good used exhaust system and I was wondering if an exhaust system from any Special model (or even Standard model?) would fit or if I have to find a system from a Special II.

Thank you,
Armin

If you want a direct bolt up, the OEM Special exhaust from any XS650 1978 through 1983 will suit you perfectly. The Special and Special II exhaust are the same. That will be the simple solution if you can find one.

6663777585_45bfce1ddc_b.jpg

This was posted here back in August.
1979 Xs650 exhaust. Great condition!

Thank you, this helps! The one that was for sale in August seems to be gone, I haven't heard back from the seller.

I saw this one on eBay and I am wondering what the purpose of the perfectly circular holes in the header pipes is...:

xs650exhsyst_zps1f002a10.jpg

Also, I saw exhaust systems for sale with brackets "going up" from the mufflers and saw other with brackets towards the underside of the mufflers.
Which one is suitable for a Special or Special II frame?

Thanks again,
Armin

My '83 has the brackets 'going up' and the '80 parts bike that I have also has brackets up so....not sure of the brckets down. The holes are in the outer pipe...there's an inner pipe to these stock exhaust systems....guess you could say the outer pipe is a beauty only pipe?

As far as the brackets pointing up or down, who ever had them off put them on wrong, they go up.
bmichel those holes are as jetmechmarty said. The stock headpipes have always been dual wall pipes. There is an inner that carries the exhaust. The heat from the exhaust discolors the pipe. The outer pipe stays cooler so the heat won't discolor the pipes. There are holes at the lower end of the outer pipe. The holes allow any moisture build up between the pipes out to prevent rusting. Also is there is much moisture between the pipes it can freeze in cold weather, crushing the inner pipe.
Mostly done to keep the headpipes looking good.
Mike's has complete systems. His 1.5 inch headpipes with any of his mufflers will work fine and let you mount the center stand. A lot of people like his Commando mufflers.
Leo

There seems to be a question as to whether the brackets (on Special exhausts) are up or down. The answer is ...........yes.

Each exhaust has an upper bracket and a lower bracket, welded to the exhaust..

I think the brackets in question are the rear ones where the exhaust bolts to the rear foot peg mount. It bolts to the muffler and can be put on pointing down instead of up. It needs to point up to fit to the frame.
Leo

Yes, now I see what you are saying Leo. I thought they were talking about both brackets, not just the back bracket. Well, the back bracket is a no brainer...................it must go upward, because there's no place to bolt it to, if it was pointed downward.

Attachments

• Brembo Rear Mounting.JPG
    Brembo Rear Mounting.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 126
Back