Special II (special 2)

special 2 or 1980G had a lot of left over parts from the 78/79 Specials, Metal side covers i think the rev counter had the neutral light as well as the high beam, it was the same as the 78/79 and spoke wheels, Hinged seat and the taillight was the 78/79 . The only upgrade was the electronic ignition I think they were cheaper in the Showroom than the Mag wheel Plastic side-cover SG. Personally i like the steel side-covers over the plastic

Last edited:
Good catch, I think the special II is the best of the 1980 bikes.
Early 1980's have BS34s with brass floats later 1980 (on) had foam floats.

One of the reasons I was looking into this was that I tried to make my own seat cover. Unfortunately my sowing machine couldn't handle the vinyl. :(

Anyways it looks like hell and I was looking for a new seat cover. I saw this one on ebay and was concerned if it would fit my bike or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...orsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_969wt_1167

I sent the seller if it would fit but I doubt he will know.

Good price, 650 central have then at $65, it's the 78/79 SE, SF,G cover, at least you will know it's right

The guy on ebay is offering money back if you aren't happy, so you can order and see if it's what you want.

One big obvious difference in seats that I've noticed is that around '80 they stepped the seat more strongly. Look at pics and see which yours matches. I think that was done after '78, so he's probably selling the flatter cover.

My impression is a Special II is basically a Special minus some chrome - gauges, chain guard, maybe more. And I think wire wheels.

Last edited:
The seats on the 78/79 SE,SF, 79 Special2 and the 80G all have the hinged seat the 80SG has the clip on seat with a slight rise and the 81 and later have a clip on seat with a steeper rise in the seat.

I haven't a pic of the 78/79 hinged seat, look here

Back