Spoke rear wheel not alligned

vsop-dk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I'm facing an issue where I just today with a friend's help, found out that the rear wheel seemed misaligned.

We took the bike to the garage and we measured and it seemed like it weren't aligned as supposed.

So the question goes....

Having a spoke wheel should it be 100% aligned or would there be a slight misadjustment?

Kind of know the answer, it should be 100% aligned I guess.... Just want to double check with you guys/gals ;) before sending it back to the garage that did the job.

Dang...

Misaligned? As in offset to one side or not straight to the front wheel?
If you have a hard tail then getting the spacers right is to have the chain run straight from the front sprocket to the rear sprocket. It should also line up centered in the frame but not always, depends on how well it was held in place when welded up. A frame jig helps with this.
On the rear wheel lined up with front wheel can also be a welding issues, again a frame jig helps. On a hard tail I might measure from the center of the lower engine mount bolt on each side back to the center of the axle. Both sides should match.
Leo

I've taken a ruler, held close to the H rim. Those are XS performance rims... Spin the wheel and could see the H rim got in and out and weren't straight...

Allso my buddy drove behind me in a car saying when we came to the garage that the rear wheel seemed way off balance... I thought it were the tyre one of the big ones.. But we measured it and saw that it were the rim...

Ps it's not a hard tail

With a stock bike lining up the wheel is easy. as far as left to right the stock spacers are right.
The wheel straight to front I have found the marks on the adjusters and swing arm ok good to. If you think the marks are off, measure from the grease fittings on the swing arm pivot bolt to axle center.
Sounds like the wheel needs truing. Not a hard job but can take some time. Your repair manual has the "How To"
Leo

Yes the wheel need truing I'm sure... The alliancens are 4.5 marks in... And is aligned just fine.. If it weren't the wheel measured at one point would run straight even if it weren't aligned, so.. Alignment is okay, just the wheel is going in and out in and out measuring from one point...

I need tools to adjust the spokes and perhaps a rod to run it on!?

Do you have a repair manual? In the Clymer book, page 138, tells about truing a wheel.
Perhaps Google wheel truing.
Lots of info out there. No real special tools needed, just some time.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo, ill dig it out... ill need a truing stand and just got myself a pair of spoke wrenches.

Went bazooka and bought a truing stand. Allso a torque wrench adjustable.. I know someone says torque isn't great, but I want to go with this until I get a better grasp on lacing and truing a wheel.

I'll get back with the result once I'm done, can take weeks though because all is ordered abroad. ;)

Back