Spoked Rims, with Brembo or blue dot caliper: Who's interested?

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have been working with another member of the forum to find a way to run the brembo golds or Blue Dots with the stock spoked wheels.

So here's just a quick post to see if people would be interested in a kit for something like this? We are still in the prototype stages, however will hopefully have something solid in a couple weeks here.

With this spacer and the Pandamonium bracket, the brembo golds should bolt right up.

With a custom designed (in the works) bracket and this spacer the R6/R1 blue dots should do the same.

Like I said the spacer pictured is prototype, and had two different methods for drilling the holes tested on it...one failed and one succeeded, So the actual spacer will only have the 6 necessary holes for application.

Anyway just trying to get an idea of whether or not this is something people would be interested in?

Let me know!

Attachments

• 1782088_10153865650195113_182178443_n.jpg
    1782088_10153865650195113_182178443_n.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 341
  • br_20_4756_62.jpg
    br_20_4756_62.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 398
  • mBWJxQaHtUCaiFv3ZECkYlQ.jpg
    mBWJxQaHtUCaiFv3ZECkYlQ.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 214
Still need to figure the quickest and most cost effective way of producing the kit, but it would be competitive with existing ones.

Hey guys. So I have been working with another member of the forum to find a way to run the brembo golds or Blue Dots with the stock spoked wheels.

So here's just a quick post to see if people would be interested in a kit for something like this? We are still in the prototype stages, however will hopefully have something solid in a couple weeks here.

With this spacer and the Pandamonium bracket, the brembo golds should bolt right up.

With a custom designed (in the works) bracket and this spacer the R6/R1 blue dots should do the same.

Like I said the spacer pictured is prototype, and had two different methods for drilling the holes tested on it...one failed and one succeeded, So the actual spacer will only have the 6 necessary holes for application.

Anyway just trying to get an idea of whether or not this is something people would be interested in?

Let me know!

This sounds like you're trying to invent something, that already exists. Pandemonium has had the kit (Brembo gold caliper with stock spoke or mag wheels) out for 3 years now. So there's no question as to whether it works or not.

Will your kit be better or cheaper? Would a customer have to buy the bracket only, from Pandemonium and then buy the spacer only, from you. Why would a customer place 2 orders, if they can buy the kit with just 1 order?
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7122

RG, I am not implying that Pandemoniums kit is inferior or does not work by any means. We are currently working on producing brackets for both the calipers mentioned. The roots of this project were to get a blue dot onto spoked rims with a stock or other 300mm rotor. The person I am working with has a brembo with the pandemonium kit, however it did not work for his application. I can point you in his direction for more details as to why if you're interested. With that being said our kit's aim is to require no modification to the caliper prior to installation in regards to the brembo...but like I said, we are still testing, measuring and prototyping.

I'm simply seeing if people would be interested in another kit, specifically the blue dot kit since the brembo one already exists.

I also find it a bit strange.

if your building one for your mate and it works out and you have a product specific that others have not been as successfu lwith, (assuming your on about the 74/75 34mm fork front mounted calipers), then as Kevin Costner said in "The Field of Dreams"........."build it and they will come"

Hi RG,

The Pandemonium kit is fine IF you stick with the Yamaha rotors. If you want a lighter rotor like the one MikesXS sells or similar, then you have much less offset. The picture below shows this.

I also did a LOT of checking and there is no thin, like 3.5 or 4mm thick rotor that has the offset of the XS. I did find an alternative to MikesXS that has the correct bolt pattern and caliper center hole but none with the large offset.

http://metalgear.com.au/search_by_disc_measurements.php?user1=298&user2=64&user3=80&user4=6&user7=8.5&user5=&user8=&search_measurements=Find+Discs

Attachments

• caliper 3.jpg
    caliper 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 188
Hi RG,

The Pandemonium kit is fine IF you stick with the Yamaha rotors. If you want a lighter rotor like the one MikesXS sells or similar, then you have much less offset. The picture below shows this.

I also did a LOT of checking and there is no thin, like 3.5 or 4mm thick rotor that has the offset of the XS. I did find an alternative to MikesXS that has the correct bolt pattern and caliper center hole but none with the large offset.

http://metalgear.com.au/search_by_disc_measurements.php?user1=298&user2=64&user3=80&user4=6&user7=8.5&user5=&user8=&search_measurements=Find+Discs

Yes the newer, thinner discs have smaller offsets, typically 9 or 10 mm offsets. My 78SE stock front disc has 19 mm offset.

The first post in this thread did not say anything about non-stock discs. The Pandemonium kit is for stock discs.

You should try looking at the Yamaha SR500 disc. 5twins has reported using that disc on the front of his XS650. As I understand it, the SR500 disc is identical to the stock XS650 disc except that it is only 5 mm thick, so it should have the large 19 mm offset, and weigh less.

Hi RG,

I did some weighing last night of the parts I have.

The stock XS650 rotor = 6.7lbs
The stock rotor and caliper together weight = 9.8Lbs

A slotted rotor from what I believe came off of a XS1100 = 6.0Lbs

MikesXS, semi-floating rotor = 3.3Lbs
MikesXS rotor AND a Brembo "Ducati Gold", 65mm mounting = 5.6Lbs
Adaptor for rotor and caliper = ??Lbs

So with this thinner lighter semi-floating rotor, Brembo caliper and adapters, you shave off about 4Lbs of un-sprung weight!

The SR500's at 5mm thick would be a lighter than stock option too. Here's a good rotor disc thread from XSLeo:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165060&postcount=3

Last edited:
Trying to find the thinnist disc may not be the best idea for our "street" bikes. Yes, less unsprung weight is a good thing. However, the disc also acts as a heat sink to dissipate heat under hard braking.

For "racing" duty, the manufacturers went to dual discs in order to have maximum braking ability. They went thinner also to save weight. Better materials and better design handles the extra "racing" heat.

I think "racing" and "street" have different targets. With "racing" you want maximum braking and the minimum weight. They can attain that by using 2 thin discs. With "street" we don't need maximum braking, we just need very good braking. A "street" bike such as the XS650 can achieve very good braking by using a single front disc with a 4 piston caliper. Its cheaper to use just 1 disc than it is to buy a second caliper and second disc. If using just 1 disc, then you want that disc to be able to absorb and shed the heat produced from hard "street" type braking.

In other words, maybe a single 7 mm disc or a 5 mm disc will allow for excellent braking, while still economical, and have enough mass to dissipate the expected heat. A single 4 mm disc might not have enough mass, if you're coming down the side of a mountain in the rockies.

I get excellent front braking with a stock single 7 mm disc. If I was to change the front disc, I would likely go with a SR500 disc for its weight saving 5 mm thickness.

I'm no braking expert, but just a few thoughts this morning.:)

I have a set of Yamaha blue dot calipers I would like to mount. I have both stock & Mike's XS performance rotors. If someone made an adapter bracket to use these calipers, I would buy it. I have no means of machining these myself.

I have another project (non XS), that I have already adapted a set of XS1100 forks, (37mm) to. Since they are the same mount as XS650 I could use it on them as well. Interested in how this turns out. Thanks.

I have a set of Yamaha blue dot calipers I would like to mount. I have both stock & Mike's XS performance rotors. If someone made an adapter bracket to use these calipers, I would buy it. I have no means of machining these myself.

I have another project (non XS), that I have already adapted a set of XS1100 forks, (37mm) to. Since they are the same mount as XS650 I could use it on them as well. Interested in how this turns out. Thanks.

Here's a link to a thread on Yamaha blue spot calipers, with lots of good info:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197

Back