spoking a 18" rear rim to a 19" front hub?

bigstick1973

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked biut i cant seem to find anthing of value about it. I have a wm3 18 x 2.15 rear rim i picked up a set of spokes from mikes XS that there site says are to used to do the swap. iv been reading about hsving to change the angle to maske this work.
Has anyone respoked one of these rims useing the mikes xs spoke hit??

Reading through Mikes Wheels it states the 18" rear will fit to the front using the Part #19-0050 spokes but that is only for an XS400 not the XS650.

Correct me if i am wrong

the spoke kit i got is the Part #19-0067 it says Stainless Steel Spoke set - Converts original 19" front rim to 18" front rim on XS650s (74-84) with disc front wheels.
I was just trying to find someone that may have already done this. and if they had to mess with the spoke angles
It also says Angles calculated for our 18" rims with XS650 front hub. XS650's were not offered with 18" front rims. so im not sure if they will be off useing my OEM wm3

I got an idea.

You have bought the spokes so i presume you have another or a least 1 18" rim and a hub, again i presume it is a front.

Y not try it and see if it works as per the sales information. I presume you have bought them because the information on mikes site states the are made for an 18" wheel, so it can be laced to a front hub and the spokes are angled especially for this purpose. If it does or doesn't work let us know.

Yes i have a front hub that i removed from a 19" rim. i also have a 18" rim that was used at one time as a rear drum brake rear rim. the plan is to respoke the front hub into the 18" rear rim it is a OEM rim not bought at Mikes.useing Mikes Part #19-0067. i have never respoked a rim and hub so i do not know what to look for if the spoke angles are wrong. i had read that some of the nipple angles may need to be changed. i was trying to find someone on here that may have already done this so maybe they could shed some light on this for me.

IMAG2885_zpskfygudhy.jpg

IMAG2882_zpswgc6y5t7.jpg

Using the google searchbox on "drill spoke holes" yields several relevant threads, like this:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5960

Caution if conducting the questionable practice of drilling a rim to realign spokenut angles.
Lightly chamfer the inner portion of a redrilled hole, and ensure that the new angle doesn't cause the head of the spokenut to bind inside the rim's nipple.

When you assemble it and start snugging up all the spokes, you'll know if the nipple hole angles are off. The spokes will bow.

FYI, I also purchased the mikes 18" spoke conversion kit and one of mikes 18" front wheels, it laced up fine. Not sure of this helps you...

Hi bigstick,
It ain't MikesXS spokes vs someone else's spokes that's causing it.
It's that the holes in an 18"rear rim are at different angles than the holes in an 18" front rim because the rear hub is way bigger than the front hub thus the spoke angles are also different.
Me, I'd see if a small round file would fix it but I'm an old bodger from way back.
Perhaps it's safer that you buy an 18" front rim and sell on your 18" rear rim to recoup some of your losses.

I had a chance to view and ride a bike this weekend running a stock 18" rear rim laced onto and run on a front hub. Owner stated he "re-angled" the holes with a drill bit in a hand drill. This is not SOP but that wheel has some miles on it and is working well.

thenutt just used a mikes 2.5x18 rim laced to the front hub with the mikes 18" conversion spoke kit he says it came out great. It's up top on my to-do list.

thenutt just used a mikes 2.5x18 rim laced to the front hub with the mikes 18" conversion spoke kit he says it came out great. It's up top on my to-do list.
Yep, did the same with the Mike's 18" front conversion and it works perfectly.
As much as I think most of their products are shit, I have never had issues with their spokes. Their 21" front also worked out great.

IMHO the 2.5 rim width IS a performance upgrade. hard to find that in a 19" Many site handling "gurus" claim changing the stance so the rear is higher front lower improves the handling. Old school tire rim combos are not the hot tip. note the tire size recommended for a 2.5 rim in this chart.
see attached file.....
I will probably fit Michelin road pilot 3 110/80/18 front tires both front and rear. WARNING: Michelin specifically bans running tubes in these tires.........

Attachments

• motorcycle_rim_width_tire_size_chart.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
And now mounted up

Yes due to a members shameless begging to buy one of my rims, and my discovery of the italian rim connection, the rims are mis-matched. I have a flange 18" front ready to lace. Still fence sitting between a 2.5 and 3" width, I have both............. Will have to drill and drop the front fender for appearance. I will also need to stiffen the front springs, Grizld's endless nagging and the reduced front tire diameter have me "needing" some more height. I just grabbed a set of 35mm sporty springs so will report on how that works with the MikesXS knock off emulators when they get here.

There is plenty of width inside the 35mm forks and Fender for the wider rims, tires. I may change the fender mount bolts to button heads, tire touches but easily pushes past them during mounting.

tire are michelin PP3 110/80/18 fronts running tubes with the rear mounted backwards. put 50 miles on it yesterday. So far so good, I think my old reflexes and frailty, the state of Wisconsin roads, and the acceptable limits of of public road riding will be the limiting factor to cornering now.

Before; Pilot Activ 100/90/19 on a 2.15x19 MikesXS rim After; pilot power 3 110/80/18 on a 2.5 x 18 mikesXS rim.

widewheelz 004.JPG widewheelz 007.JPG

Pilot power 3 (front) 110/80/18 on a 3 x 18 italian rim.

widewheelz 009.JPG widewheelz 010.JPG

While subtle, IMHO the wider tires look so right :D..........

front wheel 001.JPG

Done and rode! So far so good I went with the 3" rim which had a couple gotchas. To keep it simple the mikesXS WM4 shape 2.5 x 18 is the way to go but da-ang I sure like that wide ole mud catcher on the front.

I had to kind of assemble the caliper around the rotor; the assembled caliper won't clear the rim to put it on. Could have the rotor just loosely bolted to get the caliper on and off. The fender is from an XS750 STANDARD (XS750 special fenders won't work.) I drilled new fender holes 5/8" higher so the fender sits closer to the tire 3/4" might be better. Install the fender before the wheel, the bolts won't clear the rim to install them with the wheel on. There may be another fender going on the bike, details later. As normal spoke holes needed to be "reangled" a bit. Bike has the same rims front and back and a pair of Michelin PP3 110/80/18 fronts. I think the handling is great so far, but just working my way up on the street.
Revisit 5-2019 Even on a low powered XS650 that front tire disappeared in a heartbeat when mounted on the rear, Next up was a Shinko podium rear which held up better, Going on next is a Pirelli Sport demon rear. The pilot power on the front is still going strong and working great.

resto mod front wheel 001.JPG resto mod front wheel 002.JPG

resto mod front wheel 003.JPG resto mod front wheel 004.JPG

I got the rims here.

http://www.pirinimoto.it/CERCHIO-CON-BORDO-TIPO-BORRANI-RECORD-IN-ALLUMINIO-WM3#.Vts4avkrJhE

Last edited:
Gary, personally I like a little more side coverage from the front fender. Only from a looks standpoint. it's probably the lower profile and v shaped sidewall? The wider rims are cool.

Back