Springer leaf.. anywhere to source one?

Luke4554

"PureBred Fabrications"
Reaction score
Looking for any info as to where i could source a leaf spring for a springer kit. Im going to start fabbin' one up but im trying to get everything in line first. I cant see spending $1k + on the springer assembly..

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Luke

You might get a leaf spring set from a car and cutting it in half. Then you can build the rest.
I have been kinda shopping for a leaf spring front end, most of what I've seen are above $2500. Look way cool but way more than I will pay.
I may try building one some time.

Im thinking along the lines of a trailor leaf spring. I cant imagine having more than a couple hundred max in it when im done. Thats taking into consideration paying someone to machine a couple parts for me as well.

Luke

I myself would go with a snowmobile leaf spring to build a leafer front end cause a trailer spring would be to ridged and not have much give for wheel travel.

yup or a used car spring the individual leafs should be close. get em hot and you can bend em too. Don't quench them though they will get too brittle and snap, guess how I know THAT! Guess you do want to think safety too. Missed a TITLED 81 softail springer rolling chassis yesterday $1,200!

Last edited:
A number of ways to soften a spring, including shaving and drilling. Good idea on the snowmobile spring, too.

I was thinking about these 750lb spring rate or possibly 1000lb spring rate springs from my local trailor supply store. With these bikes as light as they are would 750lb be a decent choice or too light? Like mentioned above i dont want to be riding down the road and feel like im ridgid front and rear but i dont wanna be bouncing like im on hydraulics either. I think 750lb would be fine i guess it would depend on the riders weight though as well?

I also like the idea of the sled spring.. ill have to do some looking. Im not as worried about the rigidity of the spring packs on the trailors though especially since i will be cutting and disassembling it and can move leafs around a bit to dial in the tension.

Well, the really cool thing about doing it yourself is that if you set up the mount for the leaf spring properly, you can always change the leaf spring out to make it more firm or soft, besides changing leaf configuration. Just like with anything else you build yourself, there is going to have to be some playing around until you get it just right for you... but that is the greatest benefit of home-fabrication; you can tailor it to your own tastes in style and use with an infinite range of options limited only by your skill and imagination. (And by "you", I mean "anyone")

For anyone looking to DYI, there are freely downloadable plans at choppers builders handbook. It's a simple configuration, and a great starting point.

Back