when i got it before dipping and blasting

Attachments

• 20130328_191530.jpg
    20130328_191530.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 20130408_182841.jpg
    20130408_182841.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 195
And you're gonna cut it down? Must be somebody on here that will get you a stock length springer, plus beer money, just to get their hands on it....

Good luck finding a -2 under narrow old school springer... Ive looked, everything i found was all long like mine. +7 or more. I got mine on a killer trade off craigslist, so it was basically free... Its gonna be gnarly, especially with the stock XS front drum!

Ok, well you got a good one...

Back in the day, there were stories of extended springers breaking just below the bottom tree, but that's a lot of leverage on suspect splatter-box welds.

How you planning the re-weld?

Plan on cutting it like 4 inches from bottom,takin the 12" out, installing slugs inside cut pieces and then get it Tig welded back together...

Okay, that sounds good.
Might also consider drilling weld holes 1-2" each side of the cut, all four sides, 8 total, and have the welder fill-in the holes, so the slugs are fully locked-in and the loads get spread to a longer area. You're grinding everything back down smooth anyway, shouldn't be too much extra work.
Just being safety-minded.
There's a name for this, but I forgot...

Posted via Mobile

Well i gave it the chop, drilled and slugged the back legs, waiting for material to slug front legs, then time to get it Tig welded!! Ordered the all balls kit and will grab a couple 1" trailer bearings.....STOKED!!!!!

Attachments

• chopped.jpg
    chopped.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 187
Chopped off 11", just gotta figure out axle and brake stay.

Attachments

• chopped2.jpg
    chopped2.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 202
  • chopper3.jpg
    chopper3.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 197
So you said its safe to flip the rockers if i want? It came together nicely, thinking Ill paint it black but leave rockers and clamps bare but cleared??? Not sure yet. So My buddy is going to turn an axle for me, then ill get brake stay figured out... Diggin it!

DAMN 500ft lbs! So im going to have to pin it pretty good? makes sense why it sits in such a beefy slot on stock lower... Hmmm Ill have to have a few beers and think about it.

Back