sprocket ID

anysnail

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
how can i tell, if i can tell, whether or not i have a 530 or 520 sprocket? the PO changed it and he doesn't know what he changed it to.

also, i have the 34 tooth sprocket on now and i want to change it to the 33. do i need to make any changes to my chain or tensioner?

At the bottom of the sprocket page Mikes has an example.
It appears 530 is 3/8's wide. 520 2/8's or 1/4".
The chain needs to match the sprocket or vice versa.

so if i have a 530 34 tooth sprocket i don't need to change my chain if i buy a 530 33 tooth then, right?

the chain and both sprockets are in great shape. i just want more MPG and this is a pretty simple way of doing it.

i thought about the 18 tooth front sprocket but i thought you had to remove some kind bolt, or bracket, or something. i know i won't notice a huge difference going from 34 to 33 but i'm about to install a pamco ignition and when i do that i was to change the sprocket. i figure a combo of the two will help my mpg without cutting into my baby's peppiness! :thumbsup:

I'm assuming you have a 16" rear wheel. That gears the bike down slightly more than the 18" rear on a Standard. I think the 33 on my Standard is great but to get near the same gearing on your 16" wheel, you would need to use a 32. I crunched some numbers here .....

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

The 650 is in the data base to get you started. In the 3 entries at the top, leave one stock then change tire and sprocket sizes in the other 2 to compare.

To run the 18T sprocket you have to remove the sleeve that slides over the shift shaft is all.

I've always used the 1 tooth change on the front = 2-3 teeth opposite on the back theory.

Add 1 to the front is like taking 2-3 off the rear.
Or
remove 1 from front is like adding 2-3 to the rear.

In the sportbike world, it is common to change the front sprocket (-1) because it is ~1/3 of the price of a rear sprocket and you'll actually notice a difference over changing one tooth on the rear. They drop a tooth on the front for more low end torque.

Posted via Mobile

I used to be into stunting and i changed the gearing on my 2003 GSXR-750, I went one tooth down in the front and went up five teeth in the rear!! :D You want to talk about tourqe, at that point i could'nt let anybody ride it because if you were rolling along in first gear and twisted the throttle it would come up so fast i would def slap you flat on your back on the pavement. And in fifth gear all you had to do was bounce the bike a little and blip the clutch with you middle finger and up she went at a hundred mph!! God i miss that bike. :banghead: Sorry to hijack but with that being said i used to change gearing a lot and your not going to notice any difference with going one tooth in any direction (up or down) on the rear. You will however notice it with one tooth up or down in the front by the seat of your pants and in fuel consumption. It won't be a holy @$#% difference but it will feel a little different to you, I think only one up or down in the rear you will be dissapointed that you spent you hard earned money. My worthless 2 cents.

I had a 17/32 set for awhile, I now have a 17/30 set. I think I like the 17/32 better. It won't make that much difference in milage. What you save in mpgs is lost in the bike being harder to get moving. If you ride the highway most of the time, then you might notice better mpgs.
I liked it for the 5.5 hours at 85 mph on the road trip. Most of my riding is local, under 55 mph the 17/32 sprockets are just fine.

okay then. i guess i'm gonna go with a 17/32. i don't wanna take anything apart on the front end, cuz i'm lazy, and besides if i really amp up the hp with some new carbs i now know that an 18/32 would be more than awesome.

Back