Starter Block Off kit?

rwingsfan

Xs 650 Dummy
Reaction score
I was about to order a starter block off kit form mikes when I came across this while messing with one of my parts motors. The po had eliminated the electric starter and in place had installed a 1 53/64 expansion plug Dorman part #555-083. Well it fits perfectly and seemed to work just fine. Can anyone see any reason this would not be a good replacement for a $15.00 kit. The plugs sell for 99 cents at the auto parts stores. BTW, it was installed concave face out.

i guess the big question would be does the plug the PO used leak oil? i have the starter block off kit in my 650 and it doesn't leak a drop

jah. i wish Ide nkown I needed to take out the small gears behind the starter to use the block off kit. Don't want to do that. Will be ussing the startermotor's mount plate instead. what size tap?

jah. i wish Ide nkown I needed to take out the small gears behind the starter to use the block off kit. Don't want to do that. Will be ussing the startermotor's mount plate instead. what size tap?

hammer size tap;)

Yesterday, I removed the starter from My 79 Street Tracker. I used carb cleaner to clean out the gearbox. I went to the parts store and bought, for $1.39 the DORMAN part # 555 083, mentioned earlier in this thread.. The plug felt a little tight for comfort, so I turned down the outer circumference, very slightly, on My belt sander. I then tossed it in a snowbank for 5 minutes. I then tapped it into the starter hole using a flat faced brass drift. I installed it concave face out, and tapped it down flush with the case. Making sure the inside of the case was free of oil, I mixed some JB QUICK, and using an acid brush, I painted the junction of the plug, and the case, all the way around, inside the case. I thought this might help make sure there were no drips, and also to prevent vibration loosening it up. Very quick and easy fix, I dont see why it wont work.

Attachments

• xs 650 starter block off 007.jpg
    xs 650 starter block off 007.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 488
  • xs 650 starter block off 008.jpg
    xs 650 starter block off 008.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 320
  • xs 650 starter block off 009.jpg
    xs 650 starter block off 009.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 323
I applied the JB QUICK after the photos were shot.
My trusty bathroom scale tells Me I dropped 7 pounds off the unsprung weight of the bike, eliminating the starter and the gears! Now, if My old, tired knee holds out a few more years....

Last edited:
now just hope all that jb weld doesnt soften and start to flake off inside the motor, with the constant oil and heat in there.

Pyroman, you removed sprung weight not unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is between the road and the springs. Sprung weight is everything else.

now just hope all that jb weld doesnt soften and start to flake off inside the motor, with the constant oil and heat in there.

I considered that possibility. I have used JB for years, under all kinds of conditions, and have never seen it affected by heat, or oil. I once repaired the crankcase of a dirt bike with it, a pretty big hole, and when I sold the bike several years later, it was like the day i applied it.

All I did was run the circumference of the plug on my wire wheel and it taps right in, good and tight. It was however a little too tight until I ran it on the wheel.

Yesterday, I removed the starter from My 79 Street Tracker. I used carb cleaner to clean out the gearbox. I went to the parts store and bought, for $1.39 the DORMAN part # 555 083, mentioned earlier in this thread.. The plug felt a little tight for comfort, so I turned down the outer circumference, very slightly, on My belt sander. I then tossed it in a snowbank for 5 minutes. I then tapped it into the starter hole using a flat faced brass drift. I installed it concave face out, and tapped it down flush with the case. Making sure the inside of the case was free of oil, I mixed some JB QUICK, and using an acid brush, I painted the junction of the plug, and the case, all the way around, inside the case. I thought this might help make sure there were no drips, and also to prevent vibration loosening it up. Very quick and easy fix, I dont see why it wont work.

I have searched every where on line, what store did you buy the Dorman # 555-083 ?

Thanks,
BT

Back