Starter motor oil leakengine,

1977xs

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
anyone ever had the oil seal between the crankcase and the starter motor leak before?

Ive had 5 of these bikes and its never leaked from there, but this one does!

So ive purchased a new oil seal for it but i cannot seem to remove the old one. is there s specific way to do it?

If i cannot get it out is it possible to cure with instant gasket?

It's not the common leak point but it does happen. It leaked badly on mine when I got it. The bike was marking it's spot and I didn't even have it running yet, lol.

To gain better access to the seal for both removal and install, remove the little gear train cover below the countershaft sprocket and the intermediate gear that ties the starter to the engine (it and it's shaft just pull out). With the starter motor removed, you'll be able to easily push the old seal out now. Follow the seal install tips given here, they really help .....

http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSseals.html

The easiest way to install the new seal is to place it on the starter and then use that to push it into place. Leave the starter right up there in place and bolt it in. It's very easy to damage that seal when removing or installing the starter because it's so heavy. One little slip and the seal can get hurt. This way, you don't run that risk. Install the seal and mount the starter in one operation.

Here are some pics that show where the seal is at. When I changed mine, I used some 3Bond 1104 gasket sealant. Its a lot easier to change with the engine on the bench...............more challenging with the engine in the frame.

Notice that the seal is alined with the starter motor, not the engine casing. I used the starter motor to aline the seal, just as 5twins mentioned.

You will need a new gasket for the gear train cover.

Attachments

• IMG_5699 R1.JPG
    IMG_5699 R1.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_5700 R1.JPG
    IMG_5700 R1.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_5701 R1.JPG
    IMG_5701 R1.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 497
Back