starter motor seal/blank

nb1914

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i want to blank off the starter but first i thought i would remove the old oil seal thats in the crankcase. question is is there any part of that oil seal on the inside of the crankcase ? the new seal i have looks completely different to what i have dug out the front of the crankcase, see photo below it might be difficult to see, :-
i have seen the blank off kits but can these be installed without the crankcase being opened up

Attachments

• IMG_2568.JPG
    IMG_2568.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 188
Hi

Take off the starter gear plate on the other side of that view and you'll see clearly. You can then remove a couple of the starter gear and also drift in your plug.

Did this exact procedure this morning. Spun it on the belt sander a few times to get it to where it needed to be, added a little gasket maker and knocked it in. Don't know if you have an auto parts store local but I used Dorman 555-083 and cost every bit of .89 cents.

You can do that, try to keep the pipes od as small as you can, off centre down the frame and out. Out being away from the rubber......dripping oil, wet road, big rubber "go arounder" could lead to disaster.....
I did have a fair bit of oil coming from my top end before re build, it was one of the reasons I did the build, eliminating all oil leaks......
i took the left hand plate off, there seems to be a metal insert in the starter hole see below is this normal ??

Attachments

• IMG_2570.JPG
    IMG_2570.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 227
re-posting on correct thread , looking from the left there is a metal insert ? can this be knocked out ? its definitely metal but not sure what its for ??

Attachments

• IMG_2570.JPG
    IMG_2570.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 180
Jst a quick one ........i have the freeze plug and have dressed it down a bit. its been in the freezer 36 hours. Havng never done this, should it be a light tap in or should you have to put some real force into it.

They way I do it is get a large drift or socket that fits snuggly inside the cupped side of the plug -This way you'll minimise any distortion when drifting it in.It should go in with a similar feeling to a bearing - tight but you should'nt need to belt it in. Try a couple of test fits just so it starts to nip, that way you can dress it a little more if needs be. Ive always put a little gasket sealant on the final attempt to help it ease in and seal any imperfections

Last edited:
Cheers, i know i have a few low spots at the very front of the plug but as this pushes all the way through not to concerned i will apply liquid sealent during and after wielding the hammer

Back