starter oil seal in the case.

stfoxx

XS650 Member
Reaction score
0n a 1978xs650se does the oil seal in the case in front of the starter go from the inside or can it be put in from the outside? I pulled the starter and replaced the brushes and damaged the seal. if I have to pull the case cover how does the clutch cable come into play? there is probably a post to this question here but being new to the site still looking.
thanks,
Foxx

The easiest way to replace that starter case seal is to place the new one on the starter motor and use it to push the seal into place. As you discovered, it's easy to damage the seal when pulling the starter out, or putting it back in too for that matter. This way you don't have to do that. Once the seal is pushed in, leave the starter in place and install it's mounting bolts. Yes, it's best you remove the left side cover and also the little gear train cover over the starter gears. There's an intermediate gear that ties the gear on the starter motor to the gear in the engine. You can and should pull that out. Then you won't have to worry about meshing into it as you install the starter and new seal. It will also allow you to inspect your new seal install to make sure it's seated in there right.

B0bwywv.jpg

EP2pgnw.jpg

Thanks sx650 Guru, appreciate the pics. Have some parts coming and will get at it. The carbs are pretty dirty as the bike has been sitting for 3 years. It's a project as I though . A service manual came with it and am wondering it there's a better shop manual out there.
Thanks Foxx

Which service manual, factory or aftermarket? Most of us prefer the factory one and think it's best. Free copies can be downloaded from here .....

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/xs650-manuals/

Or if you prefer to have a real book in your hands, watch eBay. Used factory manuals in good shape can usually be found for $20 or even less. The last one I got only cost me about $10.

Thanks sx650 Guru, appreciate the pics. Have some parts coming and will get at it. The carbs are pretty dirty as the bike has been sitting for 3 years. It's a project as I though . A service manual came with it and am wondering it there's a better shop manual out there.
Thanks

Back