Starter Replacement ' 72 XS650

corbshere

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello I'm wondering how difficult it is to remove the starter motor from a 1972 XS650 I have no lift table. Has anyone got some time to respond with some Dos and Don'ts as I have never removed the starter. I've been kick starting it since 1976. Time to replace the starter! I havent run the bike in a few years and I want to have the starter working as I go thru getting it running again!
Thanks For Any Help !!

Wow, your leg must be getting tired:) Since that starter motor was only used for 4 years, it should be in good condition.

There are only 4 bolts holding it. Disconnect the large electrical cable at the starter relay. Drain the oil. Remove the bolts and out it comes.

There are 2 oil seals. One is on the starter motor shaft itself, and one between the starter housing and the engine case. If you have not had any leakage, and are careful, you may be able to re-use the seals. Dirt is the enemy of seals, so make sure the one on the engine case is super clean.

I took my starter motor apart and found that the brushes had very little wear after 30 years. The OEM starter motors were very well built.I would suspect that your starter motor has almost no internal wear.

Have you tested the starter motor by jumpering 12 volts directly to the starter motor terminal, perhaps there is no need to remove the motor?

Have you tested the starter relay, to be sure its energizing?

Attachments

• IMG_5697 mod1.JPG
    IMG_5697 mod1.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_5699 R1.JPG
    IMG_5699 R1.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5700 R1.JPG
    IMG_5700 R1.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 167
Mine was dead (or so I thought) when i got my bike. Turned out the cable connection on the motor was just rusty, that's all. Cleaned it up and the starter has been working fine ever since.

i had a hard time with the back two bolts on mine i finally gave up and made a special wrench to get in there (frame is really in the way)
1029587.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i REMOVED THE STARTER MOTOR , I THEN CONNECTED IT DRECTLY TO A 12VOLT SUPPLY IT WOULD START SLOW AT FIRST, THEN GET FASTER ,THEN SUPERFAST AND THEN SIEZE. THE GEAR END TURNS BUT NOT FREE IT'S STIFF, ALSO, IT APPEARS TO BE DRAWING HIGH CURRENT WITHOUT ANY LOAD ATTACHED. THE END HOUSING SEAL IS DAMAGED AND A SHORT STRING OF IT IS HANGING DOWN. DO YOU THINK IT'S WORTH TEARING DOWN? OR JUST REPLACE IT? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT ON THIS !!

Last edited:
i REMOVED THE STARTER MOTOR , I THEN CONNECTED IT DRECTLY TO A 12VOLT SUPPLY IT WOULD START SLOW AT FIRST, THEN GET FASTER ,THEN SUPERFAST AND THEN SIEZE. THE GEAR END TURNS BUT NOT FREE IT'S STIFF, ALSO, IT APPEARS TO BE DRAWING HIGH CURRENT WITHOUT ANY LOAD ATTACHED. THE END HOUSING SEAL IS DAMAGED AND A SHORT STRING OF IT IS HANGING DOWN. DO YOU THINK IT'S WORTH TEARING DOWN? OR JUST REPLACE IT? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT ON THIS !!

It depends on whether you like to work on mechanical/electrical equipment. The starter motor does come apart, but removing the 2 long bolts is not easy.

The oil seal has leaked oil into the motor and gummed up the motor. If a DC motor can not reach full speed quickly, then they draw a very high current (no back emf).

To repair yourself you would need new brushes as well as 2 oil seals.

Since many riders have gone the "kick only" route, there are many starter motors available at low cost. Buy one and test it to be sure it works. Be sure to use a new oil seal between the motor and the engine casing.................maybe wise to put a new oil seal on the starter motor shaft as well.

Attachments

• Starter Motor mod1.JPG
    Starter Motor mod1.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 125
Back