Starting a build trying to decide what to start ordering

Rutts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I picked up this 77 sx650 as a project. I'm set on a brat style seat but trying to decide on what kit to go with visual impact or monstercraftsmen. I don't know if I need a new tank or if I can make the stock tank work. Input is appreciated I'm also trying to decide on tires and rims.

Attachments

• 20160814_200313.jpg
    20160814_200313.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 149
Haven't even tried to get it running. I was told that it has sat for years so I was just going to strip it down and start with the frame then get to the engine this winter.

I am in for the long haul on my bike and thought the same thing. I decided to get the engine running, At least in stock form. Make sure its good first. I am sticking with cleaning my points and readjusting. I will go 277 rephase, so I didn't want to buy a second ignition. I just bought a set of new vm34 carbs because I got a good deal on them. Otherwise same thing, run on stock stuff. The classified section has a few seats right know available. If you want mags or cast wheels I have a nice set of stock disc wheels from a 78 16 rear, 19 front.

This is my 77, I started by cleaning the bike, getting the grime and corrosion off the parts. I replaced the tank with an 81, inside was too rusty. Went to a single non vacuum petcock. Took off the carbs and cleaned, removed the 2-1 exhaust and purchased stock headers and installed Dunstall mufflers, sound good. Painted the front and rear fenders, too scratched and corroded to leave chrome. Replaced the stock spoke wheels with powder coated mags. I am going to powder coated the rims and hubs and replace with stainless steel spokes for my 81project. It took me 6 months to get it to this point. Need to paint the side covers and redo the fuel tank. Got a brat seat from a fellow XSer on this forum at a good price. Just a work in progress, have fun.
BEFORE:
5ba113f1-d25e-4201-8183-ae795b232ab2_zpsvcslfjr2.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_0023_zpsqoai5pc5.jpg

IMG_0028_zpska2yfp3b.jpg

I am in for the long haul on my bike and thought the same thing. I decided to get the engine running, At least in stock form. Make sure its good first. I am sticking with cleaning my points and readjusting. I will go 277 rephase, so I didn't want to buy a second ignition. I just bought a set of new vm34 carbs because I got a good deal on them. Otherwise same thing, run on stock stuff. The classified section has a few seats right know available. If you want mags or cast wheels I have a nice set of stock disc wheels from a 78 16 rear, 19 front.

When I get to my engine my plan is 2 new carbs and a PMA kit. .. probably already at $1000 with those two purchases. I have a lead on another xs on a farm close to me that has a good engine and 2 meg rims but a Po tried to rake the neck and failed so the frame is useless. No matter what I will have a running engine when I get to it.

This is my 77, I started by cleaning the bike, getting the grime and corrosion off the parts. I replaced the tank with an 81, inside was too rusty. Went to a single non vacuum petcock. Took off the carbs and cleaned, removed the 2-1 exhaust and purchased stock headers and installed Dunstall mufflers, sound good. Painted the front and rear fenders, too scratched and corroded to leave chrome. Replaced the stock spoke wheels with powder coated mags. I am going to powder coated the rims and hubs and replace with stainless steel spokes for my 81project. It took me 6 months to get it to this point. Need to paint the side covers and redo the fuel tank. Got a brat seat from a fellow XSer on this forum at a good price. Just a work in progress, have fun.
BEFORE:
5ba113f1-d25e-4201-8183-ae795b232ab2_zpsvcslfjr2.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_0023_zpsqoai5pc5.jpg

IMG_0028_zpska2yfp3b.jpg
Wow! I'm hoping if I put the time in I can make my engine as clean looking as yours.

When I get to my engine my plan is 2 new carbs and a PMA kit. .. probably already at $1000 with those two purchases. I have a lead on another xs on a farm close to me that has a good engine and 2 meg rims but a Po tried to rake the neck and failed so the frame is useless. No matter what I will have a running engine when I get to it.

Hi Rutts,
"Don't drink the koolade!"
Refurbished stock alternator & carbs work as well or better than new carbs & PMA at a mere tithe of that $1,000.
By all means check out that second bike though, worth getting for the parts alone if the price is right and it's frame may be salvageable after all.

I'm told the farm xs frame is not an easy fix... I'm in the process of selling the second bike I got with my project and it could cover my parts list if I get the right price for it.. I really like the taste of the koolaid just do love how much it costs.

Attachments

• 20160814_200356.jpg
    20160814_200356.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 122
It's a cb750 bobber frame with an unknown year xs650 motor. I was told it ran but it has an ignition problem.. the wiring is a mess... The bike is solid but very rat rod custom.

Just my 2 cents, get the bike running and well before you start tearing it down. If the engine has good compression then it shouldn't take much at all to get it going, but that's just me. There's still time to ride, make sure it runs, the brakes work....

As far as going brat, with those kits I assume you mean running a solo seat. Lots of choices for seats....monster craftsman may be difficult to get ahold of. They've gone off the radar last I heard. But VI is still kicking.

As for the tank, I haven't personally seen it successfully used with a brat kit. To me it just doesn't fit the flow of the frame, but that's all subjective.

Seems consistent advice both from the fossils on this board and the sawzall crew. Get it running first with as many stock parts as you can to see whether it is worth adding custom parts and welding costs. No sense having a nifty custom roller, no money left and a $500 bill or more to fix the motor.

As far as the farm XS, a neck with an ownership has some value.

(Both fossil and sawszall crew typed with utmost respect - XS650 fans fit in an increasing large tent)

I'm told the farm xs frame is not an easy fix... I'm in the process of selling the second bike I got with my project and it could cover my parts list if I get the right price for it.. I really like the taste of the koolaid just do love how much it costs.
Hi Rutts,
perhaps you are too young to remember Jim Jones? :-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
The very first line in the Wiki article is the one that's most appropriate to your PMA purchase.

Back