Starting issues!

Yes I have a picture of it but it won't upload from my phone... And like k said, I've uninstalled and installed this ignition SEVERAL times, and was running perfectly
Fine before I broke down the motor... I never touched the wiring on the coils... All of the ignition is 100% in the right place... I guarantee it...

Only thing I can think of is since it's a ground cam. It does need a pin to be relocated... But as of right now and has been according to a normal rephase motor, the ignition is correct

and all you changed was the cam? did they grind the cam right some rephase's go with right side 3 splines forward and some go with the left side 3 splines forward

If you read my first post, it's not electric, it's all hooked up proper, yes it's run as a rephased motor before... And when j took it out I changed no wiring... If it weren't grounded I wouldn't be getting spark... I'm getting spark... I also changed the valves and they were professionally done... And it's a mega cycle cam...

Stock one done by Hughs... And I've triple checked the placement and it's in the right place, I checked it is in peanuts suggestions in the other posts... And used the positioning pins on the sides of the cam to show me where it's landing in correlation with the crank... And it's correct...and not to mention, if it were off, the two trigger magnets on the ignition would no longer fall parallel with the casing...and they are still parallel... So that's pretty much there, if it's not 100% it stI'll should be close enough to fire

I checked it is in peanuts suggestions in the other posts... And used the positioning pins on the sides of the cam to show me where it's landing in correlation with the crank... And it's correct...
??:confused: what does this mean ?

Matt we appreciate that iit must be very frustrating but there is no point in chewing our heads off ...we're trying to help you but its difficult as you have given us no pictures and you don't seem to be trying out our suggestions.:wink2:

I know that you think you have done everything right but clearly something isn't right !

Did you check that the threaded end of the camshaft is facing the right hand side of the engine as you sit on the bike ? this is what I was trying to determine earlier as its easy to put the cam in the wrong way round

Last edited:
I'm not chewing anybody's head off... I was saying I DID use your instructions on seeing the alignment of the cam in correlation with the crank. And I was just stating another way of checking that because the pin in the advancer side is only in one spot... So by seeing that pin location I can tell where the cam is... That's all I was saying...

And yes, cam is in correct way, it has to be in order to install the pamco

thats not what I asked you Matt I asked you if the threaded end of the camshaft is at the RH side of the engine when you are sitting on the bike. If the camshaft is reversed the pamco will still fit on the camshaft but it will be on the wrong side of the engine. Depending on where on the cycle you had the crankshaft when you marked TDC your timing could still be out.

If you are getting a backfire and nothing else when using ether.... then your timing is out .
You have fuel and air you have compression and you say you have a spark. If it still won't start then that can only mean that your camshaft and crankshaft are not correctly aligned when at TDC or your camshaft sprocket is set wrong (very possible) or your spark is occurring at the wrong time in relation to your crank and cam cycle.

Forget the alignment pips and marks they are of no use to you if your cam sprocket is misaligned on the camshaft or you haven't marked TDC correctly. Work from first principles .

Check that the crankshaft is at TDC on the compression cycle on the left hand cylinder.
Check that both rockers are loose on the LH cylinder only .Don't just eye up the valve stems and the cam lobes because the gaps are too small to see. Check the tappets are loose with your fingers.
Turn the crank until the piston in the RH cylinder is at TDC on its compression stroke (put your finger over the spark plug hole)
Check that both tappets are loose on the RH cylinder only.

if this checks out ok and you are using ether, then the engine should definitely fire and attempt to start otherwise you do not have a spark at the correct time in which case that will just leave the pamco setup to check. If you check for a spark, make sure that the spark plugs are grounded at all times or you risk damaging the pamco. Easiest way to do this is to clamp the spark plug bodies to a clean ground using mole grips .:wink2:

Last edited:
Yes I know, and I've said several times before that I installed the cam verbatim the Hughs write up. And yes the threads are on the right side (drivers position). I've said its installed correctly and step by step of the Hughes write up, and YES I did exactly as you suggested the first time, and mentioned it in another post prior saying I did that and checked each cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke and felt that the valves were all the way closed and the rockets moved. I did that...I mentioned all of these in prior posts...

Pictures, Holmes we need pictures! specially the pamco....

Just trying to help, we all have been at that (beating our head on the wall) point. My wife is famous for coming down and pointing out the obvious to me. (damn it) Sometimes I call her in and explain the situation and the lightbulb comes on while I speak.....

yes i followed hughes write up verbatim...it is correct......and thanks for the links...ill check them out....and i just went ahead and decided to ohm out the coils and everything just in case by some crazy odd chance a wire got pinched even though i have a spark...and none, everything homed out great and coils reading good resistance across the board.

i don't have a way of uploading them, as i am always on my phone being an independent contractor and all…i can email them to somebody though

matt1.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

Also guys, the ignition photos are not at TDC, as I had been kicking it over and over.... But after looking at the links sent and looking at my ignition, I did notice that I don't have give in my advancers...I did when I installed it, but now I don't...I'm wondering if this could be part of the issue, and I don't really know how to fix that considering it worked before and nothing it's bent or anything of that nature... Should j sand the brass bushing down a hair for the rod?

Back